Wednesday, October 30, 2024

A good night of sleep

 For some reason, hubby asked if I wanted an extra blanket on the bed last night.  I hadn't mentioned being cold during the night, but for some reason, I said yes.  I'm glad I did.  I kid you not.  I was surprised when I woke up at 4AM and I felt rested.  We hadn't gone to bed until about 9:30PM, which is an hour later than we usually do.  I checked my 'sleep schedule' that my phone shows from readings on my watch. It showed that I did not wake up even one time last night.  I slept sound all night.  Love that when it happens!  

I started to write something like "watch me being awake all night tonight!" but then I realized that when we do that to ourselves, we are just putting it on us.  Does that make sense?   Say you are going to visit someone you don't really care for, for whatever reason, and you tell yourself on the way that "I know I am going to get mad at them, or irritated, and if they do or say so and so I'm going to tell them off." - and you will find yourself 'on guard' to listen for what will set you off.  You put the curse of irritation and discontentment upon your mind. DON'T DO IT.  Instead, tell yourself that you will enjoy conversations with this person and will discuss things that interest them so that it will be a good conversation. Why curse yourself with situations and possibilities of things that 'could' happen, but most likely would not happen if you didn't put that thought in your mind in the first place?

It's like calling yourself an idiot. Or Stupid. Or foolish.  All because you may have done something or said something that you knew you shouldn't, but you couldn't stop it from coming out of your mouth or happening - because you 'just had to say it'.  And you really don't know why you had to say it, but you did. You don't know why you had to do it. But you did. You curse yourself every time you call yourself a name and put yourself down.  DON'T DO IT.  Tell yourself instead that you may have made a mistake in saying or doing something, and you have learned from it and will rise about it.  Tell yourself POSITIVE and GOOD things.  Don't put yourself down.  And don't call others names because you don't like them; don't like their behavior; don't want to be around them and yet find that you are at times. Trust me, I struggle - not with the name calling - but with some people.  But one cannot label others any more than we want to be labeled.  I can remember being called stupid growing up.  It has taken me years to get out of that 'stupid mode'.  I am not stupid.  God made me perfect in His eyes, and that is all that matters.  And He made you perfect as well.  We don't have to be like some one else.  We just need to be 'me' (us).  Agree?

Don't know where all that come from this morning.  Perhaps it is because I know of someone having a feud with one of their friends who has, for an unknown reason, turned on them.  I don't know the story; I don't need nor want to know the story. I'm not involved, for which I am grateful.  But this one said something and sent me the text they had sent, and I'm still questioning it this morning.  They don't know why the other person has turned against them, but they responded to something txt'd with: 'trying to ruin my life as you have ruined yours?'  What in the world?  Oh let's make up, right?  Why would one write that to another when they don't even know what is going on?  I'm baffled over that comment, but I am not involved in this and I am staying out of it.  Going from 'best friend' to this?  Thank You, Jesus, it isn't about me!!

Ecclesiastes 7:21 (NKJV):  And do not take to heart everything people say, lest you hear your servant cursing you.

When we set our mind on things that are good and right, set it on Jesus, life is so much better, don't you agree?  People get along.  If there is an issue, talk it out.  If you and your spouse have a disagreement, it may take a few hours or a few days, but you still sit down and talk about what was said and what you felt about it, right?  Hubby is good at that.  Usually I shrug it off and just walk away, but he makes me sit down and let him tell me how I did him wrong in something I said or did.  Sigh.  

Yesterday we met with a lady from a funeral home.  Sounds odd, right? Well, we had gotten a notice about VA cremation and wanted to hear about it.  I don't really want to leave my children with a burden of figuring out how to pay for our burials.  (The older I get, the more I think about these things)  Since hubby is a veteran, he, and I, can be buried free in the national cemetery here.  Since we both have agreed to cremation due to cost, she went briefly over what costs would be incurred.  The plot is free.  But, whether we want in the ground with a plaque or above ground in a case with a plaque, there is that cost. And we discussed the honor guard, which hubby would get, but not I.  They will either do it at a service or at the cemetery. What the honor guard does is unfold the flag, fold it up and hand it to me. (that always makes me cry when I see those photos.)  I wouldn't have a flag, of course.  Costs isn't bad, in reality.  I think it was just short of $4K if we did everything at the funeral home, including the service.  With just them doing the work, the cremation and burial, it was like $2800 or something like that.  What I really like about it is that they notify Social Security, the VA, and all the agencies that need to be notified.  I remember what a battle my friend Melonie has had with Social Security and her husband's unexpected death a couple years ago.  I don't want to have to deal with it.  So we are leaning on doing this, to make it easier for the remaining spouse or on the children, should we die together. 

Just like I want to clean this house out and get rid of things not needed or important!  It's just hard when hubby is here all the time.  I don't want to listen to comments and questions.  If you know me, and know him, you know exactly what I mean.  I don't have to give a reason to let go of things.  Right?

And with that, I'm going to hush and get off here.  It will soon be time to start working.  Just remembered that in two days (Friday) I need to do a drive to Tempe for a lunch with friends.  And next week is the dreaded Thanksgiving/Christmas party at Corporate that I don't want to go to.  I keep thinking of asking my boss to give me a huge project that will take all my attention so that I don't have to go. But that isn't right.  I should look on the positive, right?  I will be busy all that morning cooking turkey, dressing and giblet gravy to take (yes, that is what I am to take) and then the 45 minute drive to the office; the party goes for 2-3 hours, and then the drive back home - and I am not taking a 'vacation' day to do it!  So I get to cook (which I love) and go to a party (at a place I don't want to drive to) and meet new people and old friends, and have fun - and drive back home - losing probably 6 hours of my 8 hour day.  Should be fun (talking positive) and I will have a great time!  Some of my friends have never had giblet gravy nor cornbread dressing.  You know how I love to share! 

Ok I'm off here~ praying that you have a blessed day, full of positive thoughts and actions, and all goes well with you.  Keep your eyes on Jesus, He alone is the author and perfector of your faith.

Blessings!

No comments: