Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Interesting read this morning....

In one of the books I'm reading - actually, come to think of it, in two of the books that I am reading in the mornings - the emphasis was on how we spend out time.  Do we spend it in front of the TV - or do we spend it seeking God?

In our time, I guess we often will say "well, I had my time alone with God this morning" or "I do my 'quiet time' before I go to bed" and think that we have done our part.  We have 'shared' part of our day with God.

But is it enough?  The answer to that question ..... is no.

In our loneliness, our boredom, we often turn to computers, to TV - and yes, to crochet/knitting, to reading.  But what are we reading?  Are we reading to learn more about God, or romance novels, or other books?  Now I'm not saying there is anything wrong with romance novels.  I have friends who write romance novels and actually both write two different ways.  One I wouldn't hesitate to recommend even a teenager to read.  It is wholesome, interesting, and enjoyable.  The other I would have to hide (if I ever bought one) because this person lets her imagination 'go wild' with romance.  You'd turn red just reading them.  NOT for casual reading for sure.   I grew up reading Grace Livingston Hill books and they are still a treasured memory.  I've downloaded some on my kindle for reading.  But - there I go - off on another tangent.  It's not about reading.  It's about what we are reading.  What are we watching on TV.  What are we doing with our time.

It really hits home with me because I do my quiet time in the morning, and I must admit that I don't pickup my Bible anymore during the day.  I do have a couple books on my kindle that if the TV stays off I will read and they are good  books to help me look at my life and see where I need to change.

Actually, I was reading in one of my books the other day and although I have read this book before, this time the paragraphs grabbed me.   The book is "In His Face" by Bob Sorge.

"Our problem is, we have a convoluted concept of grace.  We have come to define grace as "the tolerance of God that allows us to live with one foot in the church and one foot in the world."  That's not grace, that's foolishness.  Such a person is neither hot nor cold, and Jesus said, "I will vomit you out of My mouth" (Revelation 3:16). 

Grace is the kindness of God toward mankind, evidenced by sending His Son to die for us and redeem us to Himself, that we might be lifted from the filth of this world and live in the glory of His righteousness.  God forbid that we should exploit His grace in order to return to the filth from which we have been redeemed."

I'm not saying that TV is evil - but what are we watching on it?  Do we watch movies or programs that are full of violence, full of evil, full of language and sex?  Is this what we are allowing our children to watch?  Do we not realize that is what we are feeding them?  No wonder our world is a mess right now.  Children see - and children do.  After all, the person that was shot on TV was in another movie the next night! 

I have to admit some of the movies I have watched have some language in it - and we tend to brush it off because we enjoy the movie.  I have become acutely aware when words are spoken that take away from the entire movie.  WHY do they have to use that language and ruin the movie?  We've gotten to where we are so used to the words that we just let them hang in the air when we hear them now.  I've had people in my life - friends and relatives - who would use words that I would find offensive, and some would apologize because although it is a word for them to use in their daily life, they know I don't care for it.  Others don't even bother to apologize.  The thought occurs to me, if they know it is offensive to others, why would they use it on a daily basis?  They "know" it is a 'bad word', an offensive word to others, so why would you allow that to come out of your mouth?  I've often said to people when they say one particular word, "I wouldn't hold in my hand what you just had in your mouth."   But also, the words are not always offensive to them.  Is it not a descriptive word that means the same thing as another word?  Do we make the word offensive because we know what it implies.  Hmmm, another topic to think about.  I think I just hate to hear words that I don't use and they don't glorify the God I serve. 

Are we all using words that don't glorify the One who made us?  Are we watching things on TV that demean the beauty of life that was freely given to us?  Are we living the life God created us to live - one that gives Him glory and honor and respect and praise?

I seem to be letting my mind run wild this morning with my thoughts.  I guess I need to do some processing of my own.  Each of us are at our own levels of relationship with Jesus.   Sometimes I feel like I'm on an elevator.  You know the feeling, some times I feel so close to Him I could just reach out and touch Him.  Other times I feel like I'm so far away that I have miles to go to get to Him.  But He is always there, it is just the nearness of Him I miss at times.  That's why I love my mornings with Him.  It's just me and Him and I can share my heart with Him and talk with Him like He is sitting right next to me.  And when I finally get my butt moving and take Sheeba for a walk, I continue to be in His Presence.  I talk with Him while I'm walking, and often sing to Him. 

Speaking of.... by the time I stop this, get dressed, and take Sheeba out for her 'morning duty', it may be light enough for me to get a walk in with her.  UGH.  Back to work today so it will be a very busy day!  I must get moving!

Have a great day - take some time and think about your life - what are you doing that glorifies God?

Blessings!




No comments: