I got called into a meeting yesterday with several in leadership in our division. COVID is driving everyone to the brink. Many of those on the front lines are completely burned out and exhausted, having to work many hours, double shifts, weekends. The Company, which happens to manage health care, that I work for sent an email out from the very top.
They want to get volunteers for 500 positions. They want people who will step in and relieve on weekends and evenings, those people who just need a break.
Being in an administrative capacity, I wondered what the positions were. Obviously, I cannot do the work of a doctor or a nurse or even an aide or technician. But was there something I could do. I scanned the list of positions and saw a couple things that I possibly could do. One was take temperatures and (?) something else. Some possible exposure to COVID, but would of course be masked when I did it. I could also select the hospitals in the area of which I live. That would include Banner Boswell and Banner Del Webb, possibly Banner Estrella.
My boss was quick to point out during the meeting that there are some of us who would not be allowed to 're-deploy' because of age. I'm sure that was for my benefit, but I ignored it. What I cannot ignore is that my hubby is 83 and in a critical range. Another thing that weighs heavily upon me about whether or not I would volunteer, is that we are so close to Christmas and it is the time I love with my children and grandchildren, and this year I will be loving on two great-grandchildren with one being a newborn.
Besides working my 40+ hours on my regular job Monday through Friday, I would be volunteering to work my weekends, and possibly evenings - which hubby does not like at all. Plus the fact I do have at least one speaking engagement January - March. And I don't know if I would be paid extra since I am an exempt employee and they are asking for volunteers.
But the biggest thing that weighs heavily upon me is my desire to help others, and the great possibility that I could possibly contract COVID to some degree, or bring it home to hubby or one of my children, grand or great-grand children. I'm not afraid for myself. If I contract COVID even though I am careful, it is because God allowed it.
I also do not plan to take the vaccine. I don't want to. They pump enough drugs into our bodies that create other issues. I only get the flu shot because it is mandatory to keep our jobs. With working in an office setting, and for now at home, it will not be mandatory for us to get it. I keep a fairly low profile, am not running around doing a lot of things. I am not exposed a great deal to the 'outside world' at this point.
A point that the email stated was that although there is this very great need to give our medical personnel a break, we are not at the critical point where it would be demanded. This email is asking for help now mainly in the medical field of which I cannot help. It is also in anticipation of the great surge of infections that are expected. It has started with the gatherings from Thanksgiving and those who were infected shared it. Now Christmas is coming and they are asking families NOT to gather for the holiday.
That strikes home for me. I will, however, leave it to each of my children and how they feel about it. If they choose to wait, and we get together at another time, or just drop off the gifts at the doorstep, I will respect that. With having my daughter-in-love and daughter, son-in-law and grandson have some form of the virus, I am well aware of how easily any of us can get it, and spread it, without knowing we even have it. I'm thankful to God that none required hospitalization, but they still had symptoms enough that they were sick with it.
So what do we do about Christmas? What do I do about the baking with the grandchildren? I have to leave it up to the older ones and their parents for the younger ones. This coming weekend I think two grandsons - and my granddaughter and great-granddaughter from Tucson - will be coming over at some point to bake cookies and make Christmas mice. I'm excited for I love being around the grandchildren. One grandson said he has to work so probably will have to skip this year.
My youngest son is driving up to St John to pick up his family there next weekend and I know they all plan to come bake cookies before they go back up January 2nd. That includes another great-granddaughter so that should be fun.
My daughter's children, well, they are adults and they can decide when and if they come over. Not sure what the granddaughter and great granddaughter will do... I wouldn't be surprised if she chose to skip it this year. And that's ok. But this grandson has already contacted me that he comes out of quarantine on Wednesday and wants to know when he can come over and bake. With just one I can probably do a weeknight.
My traditions, my hope of memories carried forward, my legacy of hanging with the grandchildren. I know as they start their own families it is harder to get with them for such a thing as baking cookies and making Christmas mice at Christmas. But while I can get them, I want to have them over. Who knows what this next year will bring. Will the memories made this year be the last for any of us? No one knows but God. I pray we have many more.
Back to the re-deployment, IF they will even allow it, I think I'll wait until after the holidays and see how critical the need is at that time. Perhaps, just perhaps, God in His great mercy, will cause the plague to cease and fade away. If not, I will submit my name to help in some area, and trust that God will keep me safe and healthy.
In the meantime, my heart looks forward to the next couple weeks with my loved ones.
Blessings!
No comments:
Post a Comment