I was reading in the book Shelter in God by Dr. David Jeremiah this morning and the section I was reading told about some times that we cry out 'Lord, Help!' (or as I do many many times - 'Jesus, please help me!' ) I am reminded how often I do that. And for various reasons. I may be praying for a child, I may be praying for a specific incident, I may just be busy with things at work and don't know what to do next. (that happens frequently!)
But the point is, the Lord is always there to hear, and at times, provide just what I think that I need for that moment in time. I'm sure there are times when you have cried out 'Lord, help me' when you don't know what to do - and didn't get the response that you thought you should get. That happens too. That doesn't mean that God isn't answering my prayer, He just isn't answering the way I want Him to.
Perhaps it is nothing more than backing out of the driveway and you don't see the car coming and at the last second you see it and yell 'Lord, help!' and you still get hit. But surprisingly, the car hit behind where you were sitting or hit another angle of the car - and not you. You know that can happen. Oftentimes, tho, we are so wrapped up in our own little world, that we forget to call on God and ask for His help.
He often helps me in other ways. Like figuring out a project to do when I really don't want to do it so the creative juices are not flowing. Ever have that happen? You know you have to do it, but deep down you don't want to, so you can't think of how to do it and do it right. So you tell God about it. 'Lord, you have to help me with this because I just don't know what to do. You know I don't want to do this, and yet, I have to work, and I have to get this done right away. Would you please guide my thoughts and help me figure this out? And, He does.
But sometimes, God is the Author of the storms of our life, and we don't like to think about that. But I find what this book says - interesting. (quote) No matter what the problem may be, no matter what trouble may ensnare us, there is only one path to safety. The only hope is to reach beyond ourselves to Someone stronger than we are, and stronger than the shackles that bind us. Only One can fill that requirement. And even the proverbial atheist in the foxhole realizes it in the depths of his heart. Even the most thoroughgoing skeptic will finally come to that point of absolute desperation and look up to the heavens to cry "Lord - help!" ...........maybe you can imagine arriving in heaven when your day comes and hearing the Lord admit that He used storms quite frequently to drive you to your knees. You'll be capable of handling the knowledge of it then, and He'll smile and say, "Remember that crisis you went through that particular year? Now you can see that it brought you back into My camp at just the right time. ........... I'm sure you never realized how the whole crisis prepared you for the good things to follow!" And for the first time, you'll fully understand how His ways are not your ways. And you'll rejoice in His guiding hand. (unquote)
Sometimes it's hard to think that our loving Heavenly Father would allow sickness such as we have going on now with COVID to come upon those we love. But when they are sick, do we just sit and look upon them as 'well, you are sick', or do we deep down in the depths of our hardness of heart, whisper, 'Lord, please heal them'. Because we know that only He can. Yes, He may still take the loved one 'home', or He may choose to restore what the enemy of sickness is trying to take away. But what do we do in these circumstances? What if we (or no one else) don't pray?
I have a daughter, son-in-law and grandson who have recently been afflicted with COVID. I have a daughter in love who was afflicted. Do I just sit back and think 'well, they have COVID, let's see what happens and if they get through it? NO. I pray. I seek after God with a fresh fervency that cries out 'Lord HELP!' because I know that only He can. It's not my call if they get healed, although it is my desire. It's God's call and what His big picture is. Perhaps it is a flag to me to pray with more fervency for the healing of my family and others, which in turn leads me into a greater sensitivity of those who are dealing with COVID. Instead of thinking I may be invincible about contracting COVID, I am aware of how close it can come to 'home'. Or maybe this happened because YOU need to turn to God and ask for their healing. Just because God doesn't answer our prayers the way we want Him to, doesn't mean that He doesn't hear and He isn't acting on our behalf. He sees the big picture and we only see what is in front of us.
We just don't always realize that it is God who works in us to will and to act according to His good purposes.
I don't know about you, but I choose to seek after the Lord - not only in times of great duress - but on a daily basis, and sometimes that involves throughout the day. Sometimes God will lay someone upon my heart, or will bring someone to mind. My prayer is that I will always think first to offer up a 'Lord, please help....' no matter what the situation may be.
My little sister told me the other day that COVID has reached her family with a grandson being diagnosed.... and his entire family is now quarantined for 2 weeks.... which means they can't have Christmas together ON Christmas. And her other son in Tennessee is thinking that perhaps he shouldn't drive up at that time since he can't see his brother. Her husband is seriously ill with cancer and is still on chemo which weakens his body even more. His stem cell transplant didn't take this last summer. He definitely cannot be around anyone who may have COVID. So she is sad because Christmas won't be what she wants it to be. I've tried to encourage her that she can have Christmas with her family AFTER Christmas; it's ok. I may have to do that with some of my family, I don't know at this point.
And yet, I realize at this moment that in the thoughts of 'we can't have Christmas on Christmas' that our thoughts are OUR thoughts, and not HIS. I will have to remind my sister of that for it has come full force to me.
Christmas is not about celebrating getting gifts and giving gifts. That is what we have made it. It isn't preparing the special meal for family (in my case many times over) because you love them so much and want to do it for them. It isn't even the gathering of family and just being together.
Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. Our Lord, our Savior. The only One who can rescue us from the depth of our despair. The only One who can restore what the enemy tries to take away from us. The One who is Lord of ALL, King of Kings, Lord of Lords.
Since hubby and I celebrate Christmas together on Christmas morning, claiming that time as our own, we take the time to thank God for the gift of His Son to us. We acknowledge the Day that we are celebrating. Long before we think of preparing meals or getting gifts together, we take time to praise God and glorify Him. It's not just about family gathering. It's not just about giving gifts. It's not just about receiving gifts.
It's all about Jesus. Lord, please help us to turn our thoughts to You when we are in a crisis. When we need help figuring things out. When we think we are in control and know it all, Lord, help us to turn our thoughts to You. Lord, thank You, for You help us when we ask. And, Jesus, help us to remember what it is we are celebrating on Your birthday. It's Your birth. The birth of our Messiah.
Blessings!
No comments:
Post a Comment