This is highly unusual for me. I'm usually still running out to get some shopping done, but because I started ordering online early, taking advantage of some early discounts, I think I am done shopping. I still have a couple things to arrive and they should be here in the next couple days. Instead of stressing by baking and shipping things to my siblings as I usually do (just because I choose to as we don't usually exchange gifts), I went online and found a couple unique food places and ordered them. Yes, I paid more by doing so, but my stress level in pulling them together, hubby taking them to the post office, waiting for them to arrive.... it is well worth it. I get notified when the gift arrives by the store and if they don't get around to acknowledging it for awhile I don't worry about it. Plus it is food, so I know it won't sit around in their way but will be eaten at some point.
AND, I have just about everything wrapped. That is a task all in itself. But the best thing? I have paid for everything I have bought. I may have had to put on a credit card to get the discount, but I turned around and paid for the gift (no interest!) so I can focus on baking with my grandchildren instead of trying to figure out how to buy all that is needed. I even went last weekend and bought all the chocolate chips, more flour and sugar... only to decide to also buy "already put together" packets of cookies if the grandchildren chose to do that rather than from scratch. We should have more time this year with me being home. They can always start while I finish work.
Just a few things I need to figure out about the menus for dinners, and some baking for my bosses for when I take them their gifts, and making salsa.... and I'm done. It's a good feeling - no stress.
I need to plan ahead like this more often. The hard part is stopping. I have cut back but it may not seem like it to some. It's not about the number of gifts.... it's about the thought put into those gifts. And, I would rather have one gift that was pondered over rather than five that were picked up just so that it could be a gift. Even if it is just a gift card. I don't want a gift because it is a 'have to'.
The greatest gift we have ever received is from Heaven. Jesus came to earth - not because He HAD to, but because He WANTED to. Isn't that what our gifts to others should be?
Blessings!
No comments:
Post a Comment