Thursday, December 17, 2020

"Not my monkey, not my circus"

For some reason I have said that saying numerous times recently.  Oh.My.Goodness.  I guess I didn't realize how often I have said it.  I heard it from my daughter, I think, and with drama all around us, I think I say it to keep myself from getting involved in it.  You know I love to go in and 'fix' things.  Even when I'm not supposed to.

Yesterday, around 7:15PM or so, I heard a truck pull up in front.  Sheeba went crazy with barking.  Hubby goes out to see what it is and a truck is in front, and a person hands him a small package.  For me.  Surprised, because I wasn't expecting anything yesterday.  My two packages from my sister  were still showing 'in transit' since LAST Thursday in Indianapolis.   We weren't expecting them.  An order I recently placed with Amazon will be delivered on Friday.  

I opened the small package to find .... a pair of fluffy pull on thick socks from my little sister.  They are the kind with the grippers on the bottom, thick, Christmasy.  On the top of the toes is a monkey's face with a Christmas hat on.  Inside the package was the shipping papers with the message "Not my monkey, not my circus".  I cracked up laughing - and of course had to call my sister.  I figure I must have said it too many times cause she said when she saw them, she couldn't resist sending them to me.

About 3:15AM I got a text that came through on my fitbit.  It woke me up, but there was no way I wanted to read it but I did glance at the time.   YAY I could sleep another 45 minutes (didn't sleep well last night for some reason).  I ended up sleeping until 4:45AM this morning!  What's up with that?  Perhaps I forgot to tell myself that I cancelled today's 'vacation day'.  I'm going to stop around 2PM if I can, but my boss called a meeting for today and specifically said I had to attend.  Rather than take the day off and miss the call, I opted to just work - I have two sets of minutes to do anyway from the meetings yesterday.  I am taking PTO tomorrow as I want to meet my boss at the office and hand off her gifts and drop off the gifts for my other boss at her house.  One of the two friends I was hoping to meet earlier in the day cannot make it so I need to contact the other and see if she also wants to wait until after Christmas to meet up. This afternoon I will start on a couple cheeseballs and start on making salsa.  Don't have a lot of room in the refrigerator so can't make much up just yet.

When I finally woke up and got up at 4:45AM this morning and made my way in here, I glanced at my phone to see what the message was.  All the tracking we have been doing on trying to find where my packages are from Indianapolis - the ping was to tell me at least one of the packages has made its way to my little city.  Now the question will be, will it make it to my house TODAY or will it be passed another day.  My little sister paid for 2 day delivery back on December 9th.  Today is the 17th.  I hope it gets delivered soon.  Part of this is frustrating in that the post office KNEW COVID was going around and that they may be short-staffed.  They KNEW more people would be shipping things or would be having things shipped to to them.  They KNEW this, and obviously did not prepare for it.  One or two days late is one thing, but a week late because they couldn't even get it out of the city - unacceptable.  Anyway - not my monkey, not my circus.

Hopefully, my packages from my little sissy will arrive today and I can immediately open them - how exciting is that!  She's waited a long time to hear me giggle as I open up some of her things.  She can choose the most unique and thoughtful gifts.  I usually buy out of a necessity, but she buys cause it is fun.  Of course 'fun' things aren't always useful and are often put aside.  Like the flying monkey she sent a couple years ago (it's still on the TV, rarely played with), or the little fella that looks like a pill with legs that you squeeze nd it sounds like a baby giggling (used more often....Sheeba goes nuts when she hears it).  I'm excited to see what she has sent.  Of course then we get 'you sent me more and I know you won't like what I sent' comments.  Before I even receive the gifts I need to reassure it will be just fine.

As I sit here this morning and think about how good God has been to me, to us, and how much He has blessed us this year, I am reminded of the little things I have taken for granted.  And the little things that spring up unexpectedly.  And the things that I have no idea what to do with, or about.  I am thankful that, although some of my family have contracted COVID, they have not been hospitalized and fear has not taken over if they would recover or not.  I am thankful that my daughter in love, although she still suffers from specific symptoms, has survived the virus.  I am thankful that my grandson and son-in-law had a mild case and after a couple weeks were pretty much back to 'normal'.  I am thankful that my daughter is coming out of the symptoms of the virus.  I don't know if she will have any lingering effects, but she is doing much better.  And I am thankful to God, for hearing this mother's prayer for her children, and bringing hope and healing to them.  I am thankful He did not let me fear the outcome, but trust in His hand, that He can heal them.

I have become very dependent upon God over the years.  He has walked me through some very tough times, emotionally, physically, and mentally.  Some times I've wanted to just give up and walk away from everything - but God intervened and set my feet on His solid ground.  I am lost without Him.  I feel sorry for those who do not depend on God for anything.  They have no clue how lost and uncertain they are in life.  They may think they have all that they need, that they can provide all that they need - but take that away, and what is left?  Praise God that He has provided all that we need.  Sometimes we get so used to having what we want, and what we need, we forget to thank Him.

We have no problem (usually) thanking people for their gifts to us.  I'm praying that this season you will take a second to thank God for sending His one and only Son, Jesus.  After all, that's the reason we have this season.

Blessings!


No comments: