I was reading in my book of Solitude this morning and as I got to the end of that chapter, it has 'practice' where it encourages you to sit and breathe deeply, slowly exhale, and to do that a few times. You may - or may not laugh at this - but, as I finished the breathe in deeply, and breathe out.... I fell asleep! Deeply! For an hour! I knew we had gone to bed late (for us) last night as we watched movies, and it was Saturday night and we didn't have to get up so early. I was awake a couple times during the night, awake at 4AM-ish. Didn't want to get up; so I dozed off and on so much that when I finally arose about 5:45AM (and hubby was still asleep, although he said he was awake and waiting for me to get up) I had a slight headache, enough of one to be annoying. I just felt exhausted, as though I hadn't slept well at all. So when hubby came in with my coffee, we talked about it, and although we SHOULD go anyway, we opted to not go to church physically this morning, but will watch the 10:30AM service on You Tube. But I will say that with my falling into that deep sleep for an hour this morning, my headache went away. Grateful.
In reading that chapter in the Solitude book I got a different concept about solitude. Now pause and think about it - what do you think of when you hear the word 'solitude'? My thoughts go to the hermitages that I used to frequent. In fact, I was so longing for a place of solitude/retreat earlier in the week that I was online looking for places that we could go to for solitude and quiet. Anyway... back to this chapter. As mentioned, I think of being totally alone with God. With silence. With peace. No distractions. No noise (or very little). Just being.
But there is another way to have solitude with God, as this book pointed out. When I'm walking on the treadmill, I can be alone with God in my mind, and walk and talk with Him. When I am on the rebounder and bouncing up and down, I can fix my mind on Jesus and think about, and talk with, Him. I mean, I know this stuff, and I have done it, but I never classified it as being in 'solitude with Jesus'. Does that make sense? Taking a walk around the block can be a time of solitude if you allow it to be. These are things I know, and I have done that. When I walked Sheeba, I would often spend the time talking with God and shared things with Him. Yes, He already knew it, but I shared it anyway. I just hadn't looked at it as solitude with Him.
Even coming in here and having my 'quiet time' with God each morning is solitude, and even if I fall asleep, it is ok, for I am receiving the rest that I need in order to be focused on what is ahead of me. Grateful I don't get condemned for falling asleep! Some people would find fault with that. But Jesus said,
Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV): Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.
Have you ever felt so tired, so exhausted, that you felt sleep alluded you? What if, instead of trying to sleep, you close your eyes and take three deep breaths, and let each one out slowly. Allow your body to slowly relax. Take your thoughts to quiet, a special remembrance of times when life was fresh and new. Breathe in the vastness and solitude of that moment. Keeping your eyes closed, think of the things that have brought you joy. Let your body relax.... quiet your thoughts, and just rest. And, if you are so inclined... whisper a prayer for those you love.... and trust... and believe... and let go of all that distracts you.... you may find a deeper peace than you have known for some time. Those things that weigh on your heart and mind... surrender them to Jesus. He can take care of anything that troubles you today. You will find rest for your soul. And that rest is good.
A pastor once told us that when we go to a place of solitude, whether in our mind or physically, that sometimes a nap is the best thing you can do, for it frees you to rest in Him. And that is a good rest.
Changing subject... I didn't do a lot of baking yesterday like I had planned. I got everything out - and then I didn't want to do it. I did end up making pumpkin scones, and fixed a roast/potatoes/carrots for dinner. I just lost the 'want to' to bake. But, now I have an open can of pumpkin that I need to finish using up or throw away so will probably go ahead and make the cranberry pumpkin nut bread today. It's not that it's hard to do; I just fell out of the mood yesterday. I'll get those done early afternoon and in the oven and that will take care of the pumpkin stuff. I was thinking of making more jam, but I think I need an orange (zest) and orange juice, so unless I go to the grocery, I won't be making that either. I did thaw out some hamburger cause I thought I'd make garbage and take some over to Ms. Diane and Ms. Vicky. Both enjoy it. Should go see Ms. Vicky today since we will be leaving Thursday morning early.
Sure wished it didn't get so warm so fast - would love to go out and sit on our patio furniture and enjoy being outside. We bought the furniture and yet have only been able to sit out on it a couple times. Had to use the mosquito 'catcher' last night - got to figure out how to keep them away. You hear all kinds of things - guess I need to pay attention to what to plant - is it marigolds that keep them away? It's no fun sitting outside when you are getting eaten up.
I guess I am mentally filling up my day today as I think about watching church, then it will be almost lunch time (leftover roast, potatoes, etc.), then fix garbage (some for us for dinner), bake whatever... and I need to work on my steps. I only got about 4500 steps yesterday and I've been averaging at least 7K. Need to kick it up a notch today. Maybe get on the rebounder or treadmill for a bit... and grab some solitude while I'm at it.
I have a 7AM workout tomorrow morning so not sure when I'll get a chance to write in here; gasp! I may miss a day! haha. Will see what tomorrow brings. And leave you wondering. Of course my ramblings are not much anyway, but for your entertainment of reading... hope that you have a great day today, and remember to take some time for you.
Breathe in slowly, breathe out slowly, and let the peace of God fill you, surround you, and be with you.
Blessings!
No comments:
Post a Comment