Sunday, May 12, 2024

I think I'm ready...

 I finally got an email with a more detailed explanation of what is happening this morning at church this morning.  6 of us women will be speaking and we each get 7 minutes.  I have what I am saying typed out and I've read through it a few times aloud - I'm at 3-4 minutes.  Which is fine for me.  I typed it out so that I don't ramble and I don't forget to say what I want to say.  Of course a few paragraphs are what my granddaughter had written me in her letter.  That's what I want to share this morning.  It's not about me.  It's about God taking the little things we do and making them meaningful to others.

Happy Mother's Day to you mothers out there!  My first notification was from a co-worker, which made me chuckle.  She beat even my kids.   One of my children have sent a text since.  I'm not concerned who sends first.  It's not about today, it's about every day for me.  I love when I get the occasional text from one of my boys and all it says is 'love ya mom'.  

My daughter and SIL brought over plants yesterday - and I laughed because I had bought planters (that still need to be put together) but was just going to put seeds in them.  He said he'd help me put them together.  They asked what plans I had today after church (none) and invited us over later in the day.  Then I get a phone call last night that they are fixing carne asada and for us to come straight over after church. Guess I will be taking a change of clothes.  Don't think that we will stay all afternoon, but it will be fun to have lunch with them.  So that's the plans for today.

Yesterday I had a blast!  Some people may not think it was fun - but I got caught up in doing what I love to do.  Cook and bake.  I had cheese in the refrigerator that I needed to get used up (it's not on my diet) so I made a batch of eggs ole.   Then I had to make salsa to put on top of the eggs ole.  Only had enough to make one batch, but that's ok.  Got it divided up.

Then I decided to make snickerdoodles for Trayden, our trainer, just in case he came over before he leaves for Wyoming on Tuesday.  He better stop by soon for I have eaten about 5 of them already.  No, they aren't on my diet either, but they are too good to resist.

After that, I decided I still had cheese to use up, so made up a batch of garbage.  I love my new skillet.  It was big enough I was able to make the entire dish in that one pan.  Then, I divided it up in smaller pans - and shared it.

And then I visited my neighbors.  Ms. Diane was excited to get eggs ole' for her breakfast this morning and garbage to have for dinner.  I think her children are coming over for brunch with her today, so it may get eaten tomorrow, and that's ok.   Ms. Vicky was happy to get her eggs ole' and garbage as well.  So I got both of my 'visitations' done yesterday.  Hubby is (it seems) always asking me "when was the last time you went over to see Diane or Vicky?"  Now I did them both the same day, so I'm good for a couple weeks. :-)  Unless I have the time.  Both say they miss me when I don't pop in to visit. 

Psalm 31:30  (NKJV):  Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing, but a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised.

I think that verse speaks for itself, don't you?  I am probably my worst critic on the past.  But one thing I will say, is that I have sought the Lord in all things and He has been my refuge and strength in my weakest and most difficult and vulnerable times.  I am truly lost without Him. My life would have no meaning without Him.  

I've always said that as my legacy to my children and grandchildren - and now great-grandchildren - I want to leave them with this one thing.... that I love Jesus and live for Him and follow Him.  Not just in word, but in actions.  No one but Jesus knows the trials I have gone through, the pain I have felt, the struggles I've had.  How could I not follow Him and pledge to Him my life? 

Jesus gave His life for me, and for you.  What kind of legacy do you want your children and grandchildren to have from you?

I am blessed to have three children.  They have blessed me with 11 grandchildren and 8 great-grandchildren.  My heart is full.  I love hanging around the grandchildren and the great grandchildren. I wish I could be more in their lives, but they have their lives too.  Grateful for the time I do have with them.   And, if you have children who have moved out and moved on, you know the feeling.  You enjoy being with them, whatever little time you get with them.  It's a blessing.  Right?

So today, this Mother's Day, I am counting my blessings.  Not just in children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren, but in the things that God has blessed me with.  There is a song about counting your blessings..... but we just can't count that high.  Yeah, I know that feeling.

I think I mentioned one time that I was reading a book called One Thousand Gifts.  I haven't gotten through it yet, but it has popped up in my mind as I write about blessings.  What she started doing was writing down things that she felt were gifts; the rising or setting of the sun, a farm animal giving birth, water in the old water pump.... 

What if we started writing down our blessings?  Could we even count that high?  Let's start with the first one for all of us....

1)  Thank you, Lord, for the blessing of Life.  I am still breathing because You breathed into me.

Your turn.  One at a time.

Blessings!

No comments: