Friday, April 16, 2021

The text early in the morning.....

As I sat here this morning and doing my quiet time, I hear my phone ding with a text message.  Since very few people would even think I was up at 5AM, I always check when I hear that ding.  It was my older brother asking me about our niece.  Seems there was a bad shooting at Fed Ex in Plainfield with 8 dead and several wounded this morning and he was concerned.  I quickly text'd our niece as I had contact with her before.  She responded quickly that she worked at the airport Fed Ex and not Plainfield, so was ok.  I do need to keep in better touch with her.  Grateful she was ok, I text'd my brother to let him know.

Life can be snuffed out in just a second.  Ever think about that?  We sometimes feel pretty snug because we are 'ok'.  But evil things can happen at any time.  Your life, or the life of a loved one, can be gone at a moment's notice.  

I was reading about Job this morning and, if you remember the story, (see Job 1 and 2), he had great wealth, lots of sheep, cattle, oxen, donkeys, camels, and ten children.  Within moments of each one, satan removed each one... and finally the children... they were at their older brother's home - 7 brothers and 3 sisters - and a great wind came up and killed them all.  Job had lost everything.  And what did he say?

"The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away.  Blessed be the name of the Lord."

Could we say that if something happened to our children?  Our home?  If we lost everything?  I think it depends on which side of the fence you are on.

If you truly know God, yes, you can say that, even in your deepest pain.  Why?  Because you know that God has a plan and even with the hardest things that hurt the most, He will be with you through the hardest journey in life.  

How do I know this?  Not because I have lost any children or grandchildren, thank You, Lord.  But because there was a time we had lost just about everything, and Jesus was the ONLY ONE I could hold on to - to get me through the pain I was enduring.  I don't need to go into details, just know that I can feel the pain of others when they are struggling and feel intense pain of life issues.

I was able to lean into Jesus more and more and He sustained me.  He gathered me into His arms and comforted me in my sorrow and pain.  He gave His life for me, and He understood my pain.

But what about those who don't know Jesus, and don't reach out for His comfort?  My heart does go out to them because they are giving themselves so much more pain than they need to endure on their own.  I cannot imagine walking through this life without knowing I had Jesus on my side - and by my side.

My heart goes out to those families who lost loved ones this morning at Fed Ex in Plainfield.  I don't know them; I don't know their names.  But I feel for their families that instead of waiting for them to come home from work, will instead begin making arrangements at a funeral home for their burial.  I cannot imagine the grief and intense heartache they feel.  O Father, please be with them and send Your Comforter to them!

What if.... your family heard something like that about you?  Or about an accident, or a heart attack, or ... whatever it could be... and they heard you were 'gone'. ... besides their intense grief and sorrow... would they know where you will end up?  Will they know you went to heaven... or hell?  Will they have the joy of knowing they will see you again.... and that you will greet them when they pass on... or will they be even more sorrowful knowing that where you are going, they will not go?  

Oh precious one, would you stop and evaluate where you are with the Lord and turn your heart towards Him?  He isn't about taking away the things that you enjoy.... He just wants to love you, and you to love Him.   Are you ready for that final minute when you breathe your last?  It isn't a joking matter.... shall your spouse and children, or your parents and siblings, grieve because you refuse Jesus in your life?  I pray that you give that thought serious consideration.  

And if you are a follower of Christ... what about your children?  Your spouse?  Are they also following Jesus?   The Word says that the man is to be the spiritual leader in his home.  How are you doing with that?  Are you teaching your spouse and your children by word and by example that to love the Lord your God is the greatest thing in the world?

Life is fragile.... handle with prayer... is a simple statement, but oh so true.  Here today, and maybe here tomorrow.  We don't know how long we have.  

Do you know Who is in control?  I pray that you turn to Jesus before that time ends.  Life is so short... don't waste a moment of it in the pleasures of life... Jesus is all we need.

Something to think about.

Be safe.... Be thoughtful... 

Blessings on your day.

No comments: