The cleaning lady is to come today (yes, we have one because hubby has totally quit cleaning the house. That was what he said he would do 14 years ago when he quit work and insisted on my continuing to work. "My job will be to keep the house clean and do all the dishes." All he has continued to do is the dishes, which I sometimes do because there are very few dishes used. He has failed to keep up his end of the agreement. Well, it wasn't an agreement. He refused to work so he may as well do something, right? So now we have a cleaning lady and her son come in once a month and clean the house and they do a great job of it. The son will even get a ladder and climb up to dust the bookcases that are floor to ceiling! The house always smells so good when they are finished with everything. And, I make hubby "pay" for it out of the joint account since he is the one who isn't doing what he said he would and wants someone else to do it.
Anyway.... on to being 'busted'. Remember the yarn I told you I had in bags next to the side of the bed in this bedroom? Well, it's been a couple months now, right? And each month I've picked them up so that the cleaning people can run the sweeper in here. This time is no different. The stack has been reduced only slightly as it does take time to complete a project. So I still have quite a bit of yarn here. I picked it up last night and put it on the bed. Hubby walks in last night and sees them, and comes out and asks me "what is all that stuff on the bed?" "Yarn." "When did you get it?" "A couple months ago." "Where have you kept it and why is it on the bed?" "On the side of the bed and because the cleaning people are coming tomorrow." "What are you going to do with it?" "After the cleaning people leave I will put it back on the floor - I have no place to put it." and so the conversation goes. This is why I can't go to Michaels or JoAnn's. In fact, I purposely stay away. I have finished four projects this past month and have several others started, but I've used yarn on my shelf and not on the bed. And that's ok. It isn't hurting anything. When I find room, I'll move to the shelf.
Today is hubby's 84th birthday. I'm grateful that he is basically in good health. I am concerned that he gets confused at times (but then, so do I - but not quite like he does) about things that he has done before. For example, he has had his phone for over a year, and has had smart phones prior to this one. He still has difficulty sending a message to someone, and will often ask how to put more than one person on a text so that he can send to his group of men. Then he gets frustrated if it comes up green instead of blue (identifying they don't have an iphone, sometimes) or if it doesn't show that it has been 'delivered' or 'read' immediately. I don't understand much about my new phone either (yeah, I got a new one last week) but as long as I can call and receive calls and texts, I'm good. I don't care about all the whistles and gadgets that go with it. I'm not 'married' to my phone. My phone is for my convenience. If it rings and I'm not available, I don't need to rush to answer it. If I hear a text and don't want to read it then, I don't have to. My phone does not own me. It is for my convenience to talk with others. Period.
I told hubby last night that I would take him out to dinner tonight for his birthday. I'd do breakfast - and it would be ok with my bosses - but the cleaning people are coming. I thought about lunch - which I think I'd really prefer to do - and I'll put that out to hubby closer to that time. He finally asked if we had an Outback close by - it's a few miles away but not a big deal. I'll go wherever he wants to go, but if he wants steak, I'm sure there are places just as good closer to home. In fact, perhaps I'll go online today and see what - oh wait - I think there is a LoneStar or something not far from here and I went there on our Hailey getaway last year. I had steak too and it was delicious. A little pricey but very well worth it. I'll have to check where it is and tell hubby that's where I'm taking him. It's better than Outback, in my opinion and the service was excellent.
God has been good to us by giving us many years to live. Hubby was choking up yesterday as he read a text from a high school friend's daughter that her dad has been placed in palliative care. He often comments that his friends from high school are dying off. I just let him talk.
Addendum: Hubby received a call within the hour after I wrote this blog... his friend passed away this morning. The shock of a broken hip - and they also found he had a broken femur - and it was too much for his body to handle. Hubby is doing ok; just choked up and sorrowful.
My older sister often talks about her friends (what few she has maintained over the years) are all dying and there are very few left. I'm glad I have lots of friends - and I choose to have young friends as well as old friends. Dying is a part of life. We mourn our loss of their love and friendship, but we should celebrate that they lived life. My hope is that when I pass on that my children will - just a little - mourn at my passing, but also celebrate that I lived life and made memories that they can share with their children and grandchildren. I choose to celebrate a life well lived, then mourn at the loss for the rest of my life. Miss my Mamacita? Miss my brothers? Of course I do. I think of them often. It bothers me that my youngest brother's line ended with him as his three children were burned to death in the fire. My children knew him the best as he lived with us a short while. But ... all we have are memories. I hope they will never forget their uncle... and yet... there is nothing to help them remember.
Ok - now I've started going back in my mind and thinking ... so I need to quit that. :-) It's a beautiful day and a good day to live. Did you know that Indiana got snow again yesterday? My brother sent me videos of the snow all around his yard. It looks so beautiful. My brother in law called hubby yesterday and said there was ice on the trees and two branches on the tree next to his driveway had broken off due to the weight of the ice. This is the end of April - what in the world is going on?? Crazy weather that we have - mid-afternoon the wind is blowing hard here nearly every day.
Yesterday - I did get the bouquet of flowers from my bosses. I had actually forgotten so was surprised. We have a program at work called MVP+. Just the MVP (most valuable person of course) is a card that you can choose and send internally to someone and identify if they are 'customer obsessed', or whatever other topics they have. I frequently send those to my coworkers. But for those who go'above and beyond' there is MVP+. I was very surprised yesterday when I got one from both of my bosses. It includes (hence the +) a $25 'choice' of gift card from different places or merchandise. I went through it yesterday and didn't really see anything I wanted... LOL of course I found a couple things that made me think of a specific great granddaughter for Christmas. I need to go through the list again. If I'm drawn to that item again will have to check with the granddaughter. I don't think they are a 'needed' item, and will be in the way... but she also may already have them. Maybe I will just go with a gift card.
I am so blessed and am so grateful to God for His faithfulness to me. I am able to get up every morning and spend time with Him. My son-in-law blessed me with this laptop he gave me and I keep it next to my chair so that every morning I can get it to type in here. Whether it is a blessing to you or not is another subject for another day. :-) But if I had to get up and go to it, I probably wouldn't do this on a daily basis. So is that a blessing? It gives you something to read each morning.
Sit back for a moment and truly think about how blessed you are. You are alive. You can make your own choices - good and bad. You have people surrounding you who love you. And you have Jesus who loves you even more. He loves you so much He went to the cross for you. There is no greater love than that. Count your blessings, one by one; see what the Lord has done for you.
Blessings!
No comments:
Post a Comment