I told hubby earlier in the year as he was talking about our anniversary getaway that 5 days was too long when nothing is planned. But, once again, I gave in to him. So here we are at day 4, and I'm not complaining, just stating facts. I could have pushed on it, but chose not to. We've gone out to eat. We got gas for the car. We went to the market. What is left to do? Every time I bring up an antique shop, the grumbling starts, and I just don't want to deal with it. There is a bear shop we have passed a few times and I've mentioned stopping, and again, grumbling. I am pretty sure - although I could be wrong - that it has to do with walking. So we have gone out to eat, then come back here. We've sat outside most of the time, and it's been wonderful, watching the clouds come and go, the birds flying around, breathing decent air, temps in low 70's. We even wear a sweater! Hubby forgot his so has been wearing mine while I wear a hoodie. We sat out until the sun went down yesterday (about 5 or so hours I'd imagine) - and both of us have our face sunburnt! I finally finished a baby blanket last night. We've read. And napped. And rested.
But I'm getting antsy and need to be doing something. I went to bed with a headache last night and still have it this morning. Didn't bring anything but my 'strong stuff' and I'm trying to not take it. I am pretty sure it is my teeth moving with this retainer that is causing the headaches (but then, it could be hubby too, ya know) but I didn't sleep much last night and finally got up at 3:30a and tried to lay here on the couch - but couldn't sleep so here I am. Drinking coffee and I made it a bit stronger so am hoping the caffeine will take care of the headache. Having these plastic retainers are a pain. I can only leave them in for water - everything else I have to take them out. Meaning, coffee, they are out. Milk or soda, food, snacks, any of that - I have to take them out. Maybe it is my having to put on and take off that is causing the headache. It has kept me from snacking much - if they are in, I choose not to snack cause it's troublesome to take them out. They are out now with having coffee here by my side and I'll leave them out until we have breakfast.
We finally made it to the market yesterday and picked up lunchmeat, buns, a couple oranges, cereal and milk. We finished up our salads last night along with a ham sandwich and chips. That will save us money - geez, by eating breakfast and lunch - it was costing a lot to eat per day~ and if you know me, I have my limits on spending for food. Buying things to give away - I'll spend it all, but food, naw. We can get by. LOL And, no, I haven't bought anything because we haven't been anywhere! So, then, maybe that is a good thing?
I'm concerned about hubby. Seriously. It's like he has 'given in' to his inabilities to do things. I know it was pretty much the same at home, but not as obvious. He sleeps - a lot. Frequently napping for 30-60 minutes at a time. He shuffles even more and walks hunched over even more, it seems - or maybe I haven't been watching. He's very careful to hold on to walls when he is climbing stairs or walking. (use his walker? Oh heaven forbid!) It seems all he does is TV, read, eat, sleep. Altho he has not been able to get the TV to work up here and I refuse to contact the host to find out how. But then, like I said, that's what he does at home, but I'm noticing how much weight he is putting on in the middle as well. As if I have any room to talk. I don't. He had to get his Dr. Pepper yesterday.. and no, not the diet Dr. Pepper which (supposedly) has less sugar... he has to have the one with all the sugar in it. I know that doesn't help.
Wow - with the retainer out, and nearly a full cup of coffee in me, my headache is abating. Grateful. I'm hoping (in a way) we don't go anywhere today. Last night hubby was saying how much he is enjoying our getting away. In other words, I'm quarantined with him so he isn't alone, and it's much cooler here. I've decided this is the last year we will go away. His comment back was 'we'll see'. Sigh. If we aren't going to 'see' anything, or 'do' anything, why ... ok, I'll hush. Anyone else like me? (erase)
It was weird yesterday morning at 5:30-ish.... the alarm sounded three times (did I mention this yesterday?) and then stopped. I'm 'on guard' for it to go off this morning, but it didn't go of the first morning. It's 5:17a.... will it or won't it? Nothing I can do if it does. I just hope it also shuts off by itself.
We did see 4 elk walking through the yard yesterday. I had heard an animal noise and got up to look (we were on the porch) and finally I saw them and tried to get hubby to see them, but by the time he scraped the chair on the porch a few times trying to get up out of the chair, and talking "where are they?", they quickly wandered off. It looked like one with horns and three without. The 'king' with his harem?
My son came home from the hospital yesterday. I got 'dinged' he was home, but waited until later to check on him. He said he was tired, and I left it at that. Understandably tired, I'm sure, and it will take a few days to get his strength back. Any invasion on the body takes its toll and needs to rest to heal. Grateful to God for answered prayers on his behalf.
My sister got her birthday packages (her birthday is Sunday) the past two days. One was full of oatmeal cookies and chocolate... and the one she got yesterday had her gifts in it. She was surprised at some things I sent. And that's the way birthdays are supposed to be, right? Full of surprises. I know the cookies surprised her! I called her when I got her thank you text and hubby kept inserting comments while I was trying to talk to her. I finally turned to him and told him that was the reason I would go into the other room to talk - I don't need his comments! He only hears one side of the conversation (plus he doesn't know what I sent her). He finally hushed but didn't leave. We didn't talk much since she knew he was still sitting there. But at least she got her gifts early - hers didn't arrive until last Tuesday and it was to be here the Saturday before my birthday!
James 1:2-4 (ESV) Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
None of us count it 'all joy' when we run into trials, do we? I certainly do not. But perhaps I need to look at some of my trials. Perhaps the trials are there for me to learn some things. Maybe what hubby is going through is to teach me about compassion, about patience. I think about some of the things I've had to do for him that he could not do for himself.... and I honestly was surprised that I was able to do it. Maybe being a caregiver would be my next profession if I ever retire? Which more than likely, won't be anytime soon. What trial are you in that you feel you are being tested? I need to be more kind. I need to be more compassionate. This is definitely a trial at times. At least for me. I hope when I have difficulties as I age that my children are more compassionate than I have been with hubby at times.
And with that, I'm getting off here. It's 5:40a and hubby is just getting up; the alarm did not go off at 5:30a like it did yesterday. Hubby is up, I'll grab another cup of coffee, and get some reading done. Just thought I'd do this first this time.
Have an amazing day. Remember that whatever you are going through, learn through it.
Blessings!
No comments:
Post a Comment