Monday, March 25, 2013

Passover Week

For us Christians, we celebrate Passover week in a different way than the Jewish people do.  The Jewish recognize Passover week as the reminder of when God led the Israelites out of Egypt, out of bondage to the Egyptians.  They put the blood of a lamb on the doorpost of their houses, and when the angel of death came through and killed the first born of all things, including the Pharaoh's son.  Only then would Pharaoh let them leave, and even then he changed his mind and chased after them.  The rest of the story is their history.

But for us Christians, we celebrate Passover a different way.  We recognize it as not only the Israelites escaping from Egypt, but we celebrate Jesus going to Jerusalem on a white donkey, on the day we celebrate 'Palm Sunday'.  It is called such as many people waved palm branches and laid their cloaks on the ground for the donkey to walk across.  It was their way of showing honor and respect.  Jesus on the donkey was showing humility.  He didn't come dressed in royalty and riding on a fancy white horse, but on a lowly donkey.

Passover, in which what we call the 'Seder Meal', was celebrated with His disciples in an upper room that had been prepared for them.  

My neighbor is Jewish and although she is not a stoic Jew, she does honor some of the old traditions.  I knew she ate pork, which the Jews do not, for I have taken many pork items over to her and she has devoured them.  We talked the other day when I was visiting with her about the Jewish passover.  I shared that hubby and I are attending a Seder dinner at our church this Wednesday evening.  It is a remarkable experience and I encourage anyone to attend one.  It helps understand more of what the Israelites endured and what their escape meant.  As I talked with my Jewish friend, she shared that they always went to synagogue when the children were growing up, but once they left home, they never went. 

Some things never change.  That happens with Christians too.  They try to raise the kids up to go to church, and when the kids move away from home, they feel their 'duty' is done.  Completed.  

I was really surprised at her statement and commented on it.  She explained that she only went so that her children could go to Hebrew school.  She never felt any connection to stay.  Wow.  That really blew me away.  Unfortunately, not only do her children not go to synagogue, they don't have any relationship with her either.  She has not seen or talked with any of them for a few years now.  In fact, her oldest son died of a brain tumor and she was not even notified.  Her caretaker heard about it and shared the information.  She has not seen her grandchildren in years.  They have nothing to do with her.  But that is probably an entire different subject - and yet, all these things happen to us Christians as well.

I found it interesting that until she became unable to walk, and her husband was still alive, they would have a Seder dinner in their home for about 40 people.  It must have been before we moved into that neighborhood about 18 years ago. She doesn't get to do Seder dinners anymore, unless someone brings it to her.  I think last year her brother-in-law came over and he took her through a Seder dinner.   I make matzo ball soup (which is actually pretty good) and charosis (a Jewish apple dish) and take to her sometime during the week.  I should have made it this weekend, but it just didn't get done with everything else I was involved in.  Hopefully I can get it made one evening this week and hubby can take it over during the next day.  I know she eats dinner every day at 5PM and since I don't even get home until 6PM or so I will have to prepare it the night before.

Back to Passover week, our church is doing a 24/7 prayer week.  Another church a friend attends has asked members to give up things so that they can keep their thoughts on Jesus during this week.  Hubby and I go to the prayer room tonight to spend time praying for specific things identified.  I also have time scheduled during the week to spend praying, but not in the prayer room.  I'm sure hubby does as well.  We plan a time of prayer during our group meeting on Thursday evening.  

The Jewish people will remove all breads and anything with yeast in it - well, it should already be out of their house.  My neighbor is a stickler for getting breads and things with yeast in it out.  I don't know how faithful her caretaker is about doing it, but she believes he gets it all out.  She is unable to check it so she has to trust him.   I like the matzo crackers so I usually buy some just before Passover.  In fact, I picked up some at the grocery yesterday.  A lady came by while I was determining what to buy, and she shared a recipe of what she called 'Matza Brie'.  You soften the Matzo by running water over it, then break into pieces, mix in with egg, and fry it.  She said it was like eating French toast.  Hmmmm.  I suppose that means one then pours syrup over it.  Sounded good anyway.

We don't remove breads and crackers made with yeast out of our house.  We eat them. :-)  We believe that Jesus came to give us freedom, not bind us to a set of rules like the Pharisees did to the Jewish people.  Jesus doesn't want us to follow rules, He wants us to follow Him.  There is a difference.  What is important for one person, may not be important to another to follow.  Only God can lead each one to follow Him in their own way.  For some they put themselves in 'prison' with their 'can not, have not, should not' attitudes.  Christ sets us free from all that.  He will show us what He chooses for us to let go of.  And when we follow Him, we do it willingly.  It isn't hard to give us, when it is our gift to Him because we love Him.

Jesus said the greatest commandment is to 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind".  The second greatest commandment is "Love your neighbor as yourself". 

As we go through this Passover week, I hope you take some time to think about the journey this week started.  It began with Jesus riding into Jerusalem on a donkey, and ended with Him being crucified and dying on a cross.

And He did it all, willingly and freely, for you, and for me.  Think about His sacrifice for us, the Lamb of God.

Blessings!

No comments: