Friday, April 17, 2026

My babies have hatched!

 And I almost missed it!!  I started to go out the front yesterday and saw papa quail with mama quail - papa jumped down when the door opened, so I decided not to go out.  A few hours later I heard talking on the front porch.  Hubby wasn't home, so I wasn't sure who it was - got up and opened the front door.  It was our mail lady and she was standing there talking to all the baby quail that were running around!  There were about 6 still in the pot so I ran back in to get my phone so I could video some of it.  She said that when she came up, she startled mama and papa quail and they took off - and then all the babies started jumping out of the pot and chasing after them.  I was able to video several who were running all over the place.  I'm not sure where all twelve went (as all eggs were open) - but I picked up a couple and took to the hedge they were all running in to.  I sure hope they all made it back to mama and papa.  Would be so much fun to see them all running down the sidewalk together, and know that 'I' provided a safe place for them to hatch.  Now that they are gone, I will add more dirt (cause mama quail kicked a lot of dirt out to make her nest), and stick in more of the plants that have roots growing.  Get that pot filled back up with plant.  It's kind of sad now that the eggs have hatched - what am I going to talk about?

Hubby has headed to his bible study and then will go visit Chuck afterwards, which means he won't be back home until about 11AM.  I have a morning to myself. :-)  Maybe I can finish listening to the audible - I think I have two hours left on that book - and then I'll share about it.  I could have listened last night, but I dug out my DVD player and put in season one of The Chosen.  I want to watch it all the way through (I have the DVDs through season 5.  Waiting on Season 6.   So I quit watching after 4 episodes of season one because hubby was due home.  When he came in and asked what I did (why does he always have to know what I did in my free time?) I told him that I had started watching The Chosen.  And THEN he tells me that he wanted to watch it all as well!  UGH.  I could watch the first four episodes again - not a big deal.  He shows no interest until I do it without him.  I see there is a way I can hook the DVD player up to the TV - which would be much better, but I'm wanting more to get our real DVD player hooked up to the TV. No one seems to know how.  But Bret, our bible study leader, used to do this for Sears - so he knows. If I haven't figured it out (I'm going to try again this morning) by May 6, I will ask him to set it up. At least he knows what he is doing.  My big brother tried to help me several months ago, but I didn't have the right part. Bret told me what to buy and I have it - I just need to follow through with it.

Ephesians 2:10 (NIV):  For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Have you ever wanted something, and kept putting it off, waiting on that perfect sale, or that perfect timing...... and something changed things?  Say for example you wanted a new coat.  Granted, out here you definitely do not need a coat for long!  But let's say you wanted a new jacket, a new coat.  You saved for it, and saw exactly what you wanted, the exact color, the right style, but it just wasn't in your budget just yet.  BUT, you had a coupon, but the coupon wasn't good for another week, so you decided to wait one more week to go in and get it.  

Then you go to a grocery store to pick up a gallon of milk and some bread.  You walk outside and there is a young mother and a couple babies, just sitting there.  Not asking for anything; just sitting.  You remember back how hard it was when you were that age with small children.  How tight money was, how difficult it was to just make ends meet.  You hear one of the babies asking for something to eat, and how the tears gathered in mama's eyes.  Then you feel that tug on your heart, and if you are listening, you hear God's whisper to you, "give her the money you have saved for that new coat, so that she can buy groceries."  You have no other desire but to obey God, but still, you really wanted that coat that you had saved for!  What do you do?  You cheerfully write that check, or hand over the cash, to the young mother and tell her to go buy her children something to eat.  And you walk away with new found joy, that even though you now can not get that coat, God used you as His handiwork, to do good.  He brought that woman there with her babies 'for such a time as this', so that you could touch her life and the lives of her children.  And all you have to do  is be obedient.

I don't often have opportunities to help others.  Usually it is because I have no money, no resources - and now it is because I work from home so I am isolated from people.  But sometimes, God has me do things that even surprise me.  We don't have much, but it all belongs to God anyway, so if He impresses - or tells - me/us - that we need to do something, I want to always obey.  Sometimes it is a need at the church that is presented and I feel we need to 'do something' - so I ask God what He wants.  Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't help.  But the key is to always be available to whatever God shows you that He wants to use you.  He prepares the situation to give you the opportunity to serve.  Our 'job' is to be ready to be used.

I have a lot of 'stuff' here at home - I've talked about it often.  If any one needs anything, if I'm not using it, I'm more than willing for them to take it.  I'm sure you are the same way.  I always over buy and over want - if you know what I mean.  My wants usually exceed my needs - always.  I can get by with so much less.  

I guess a lot of that has to do with my upbringing.  I always have said my parents provided for what I needed; I rarely got what I wanted.  I had two dresses growing up.  I would wear one two-three days a week, then switch to the other.  I didn't think anything of it - that was just all I had.  I never wanted more - I thought all families were like ours.  We got by, always had food on the table.  LOL  I remember mother cooking friend chicken - my very favorite - and we were all 'allowed' one piece of chicken as we sat around the table.  We had lots of fried potatoes (I can make really good ones - or I used to) and pork and beans and hamburger mixed.  Or I would mash potatoes and have pork and beans with hamburger.  That was our dinner many nights.  Haven't done that in years - might be fun to make again. :-)

Ok - time to get the work computer on - after all, it is Friday and I need to work one more day this week.  It's been really quiet with Brett gone - and I'm grateful.  But Monday will be busy with two prep sessions for an upcoming board.  But then - next week is a two day week for me - and playtime!!  Whoo hooo!!

Have an amazing day and do something kind for someone.  You never know whose life you will touch.

Blessings!

No comments: