Sunday, August 28, 2022

I shall not want...

 What do those words make you think about?  Most people will automatically think of the 23rd Psalm.  Is that what you thought of?  I shall not want.  What do you think that means?  Obviously, our first thought is that it means that we have everything that we need, so there is nothing we want, correct?  Ponder that for awhile.  Are you in that place where you can say "I shall not want"?

What made me think of that?  As I sit here and start to write today, I'm listening to Free Chapel's worship service on my phone.  I love worship, and when there is a good worship team that can take you to the Throne of God, I'm so blessed.  

Oh my goodness!  Now they are singing an old favorite song of mine - reminds me of my mama.  And it's the only song I can play on the piano.  "When we all get to Heaven, what a day of rejoicing that will be!  When we all get to heaven, and see Jesus, then we will sing and shout the victory!"  Do you remember that song?  My mama used to sing that all the time, along with 'Rock of Ages'.  Sweet, sweet memories.  Although I don't really have room for it, and although I really can't play, I often toy with the idea of getting a small keyboard that I can sit up back here and whenever I want to remind myself of my heritage of church songs and play them - even with just my right hand, and remind myself of songs my parents used to sing, songs that formed me in my youth.   Whenever I commented to hubby in the past I wanted one, I got the 'what for? where would you put it?' stuff and it doesn't matter, does it?  If I want it, and it means something to me, does it matter what for and where would I put it?  Granted, I wouldn't have opportunity to use it often.... .. I do have an Amazon gift card from my boss... I COULD use it to put towards it, right?

I think that is some of the biggest struggles I have.... I love the things from my childhood that I hold dear.  It's hard to explain.  Some things need to be left in the past; I agree.  But, even if they are never used, if it means something to me... ah... I can't explain it.  Perhaps I'm just missing my mama this morning with hearing these 'old time' songs.  When she was in the hospital, and I got to spend time alone with her, we often sung a hymn.... I didn't remember all the words, but mama did.  'The Old Rugged Cross'.  'It is no Secret, what God can do'.  When We All Get to Heaven'.  Those are songs from my childhood that helped shape my life.  I love the chorus' we now sing, don't get me wrong.  But when the worship team keeps singing the same chorus over and over... my worship shuts down.  It has become a performance instead of worship.  That is my complaint against some of these worship teams. 

 In fact, when Pastor Gerald, whom I credit with teaching me how to come into God's Presence in worship, he knew when to stop.  We generally would sing 3 songs (and not always a hymn, but sometimes), two would be upbeat and fast and full of praise and worship.  But the third song... that is the one that always did it for me.  It would slow down, and a hush of reverence would fall, as we bowed down and worshiped God.  It prepared our hearts for listening to God's Word that was going to be spoken to us.  I miss those times of worship.  

Today is Sunday and I will be stopping soon to jump in the shower and get ready for church.  My throat feels raspy this morning (and has the past three days, actually) and I had a sinus headache again (took a pill and it helped)... thinking about going to an ENT to check out what is going on... only because of what I went through last April at the hotel... I haven't felt well since then.  I had planned to discuss this with my doctor at my well checkup - but you know how that ended up.  Haven't found a new doctor yet, but I'm going to research it soon.  I think I can go to an ENT without a prescription.  Will try, anyway, I think. 

I look at my phone and I see that I had a call from my younger son early this morning,   No message was left so I am left to wonder if my granddaughter is at the hospital to deliver our great-grandson.  It is late enough I think I can text him and see if everything is ok.  I never get calls in the middle of the night unless it is important.  I didn't hear it ring, or I would have answered it.  My phone is always in this room at night and I see the volume isn't up very high - I do that so it doesn't scare me awake if it rings.  My watch didn't vibrate so it didn't wake me up.  

I'm going to leave this with you this morning...   lyrics to The Old Rugged Cross..

On a hill far away stood an old rugged crossThe emblem of suffering and shameAnd I love that old cross where the dearest and bestFor a world of lost sinners was slain

So I'll cherish the old rugged cross (rugged cross)Till my trophies at last I lay downI will cling to the old rugged crossAnd exchange it some day for a crown
To the old rugged cross I will ever be trueIt's shame and reproach gladly bearThen he'll call me some day to my home far awayWhere his glory forever I'll share
And I'll cherish the old rugged cross (rugged cross)Till my trophies at last I lay downAnd I will cling to the old rugged crossAnd exchange it some day for a crownI will cling to the old rugged crossAnd exchange it some day for a crown


Did you find your mind humming the tune alone with the words as you read the words?  Did you even stop to read the words?  For some of you, you are old enough to remember this song.  For others, you may have never heard it before.  I suggest you pause, and read it again, and take those words to heart.  For many of us, we are who we are, because of The Old Rugged Cross, and Jesus, who died on it, for you, and for me.  Everything we have is nothing compared to the crown we will have when we see Jesus face to face.

Blessings!

No comments: