I had a lot of fun yesteday. A lot of joy. How's that? Well, we went to church - which was awesome. The message was on 'Do Not Compromise'. What does that mean? Don't choose the easy way out just because it is the easiest. Don't say you are guilty when you are not. Don't go one way because your peers do... stand up for what you believe - and do not back down. Don't compromise who you are and what you believe. I may share more about that message another time. It was a great message.
When we got home, I made taco soup. In talking with our group leader yesterday morning, he mentioned his wife was home, not feeling well, and his dad who was discharged after surgery is still with them because he won't eat so is getting more and more frail and weak. So we took over some taco soup and I also made banana pudding, thinking his dad might eat some of it. After a short visit, we came back home. I was to take some taco soup over to Ms. Diane, but all three of her children's cars were in the driveway so I thought perhaps they were having a 'family meeting' and didn't want to interrupt. I'll get some over to her some time today.
But this morning.... as I was reading in I John, it was like it came to life for me, and although I read only the first chapter, I could have read all because it is so short. But with having to watch the clock, I read only the introduction and the first chapter. Did you know that John wrote I John so that his readers would have abundant joy in their walk with God? He also shared three things that will keep us from experiencing the full benefits of our birthright in Christ.
1) We forfeit our joy when we deny the power of sin. We often claim one thing by our words ut are condemned by our lives. Walking in fellowshiop with Christ results in being continually cleansed from sin. And when we are cleansed from the guilt and stain of sin, we have fullness of joy in the Lord.
2) We forfeit our joy when we deny the presence of sin. The cure for sinfulness is not denying our sin, but relying on the faithfulness of God to forgive us on the basis of Christ's death on the cross. To confess our sin and remain in fellowship with God is the way to maintain the joy of our salvation.
3) We forfet our joy when we deny the practiice of sin. The person who denies tht he or she has, in fact, sinned is quick to label their actions as anything but sin. Unfortunately, to take such a stance costs both the joy of forgiveness and restoration with the Father.
If you lose your joy in the Christian life, examine these three statements. Chances are, you will find the reason your joy has been short-circuited. Then simply reconnect with the source of all joy, and your spirit will be restored.
John says it this way: Let me make it simple. Walk with Jesus. Cling to your faith. Stay in the light. When you sin, confess and move on. And show your love for Jesus by loving your brothers and sisters in His name.
Remember this song?
Down in my heart (where?)
Down in my heart (where?)
Down in my heart
I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy
Down in my heart (where?)
Down in my heart to stay
Down in my heart (where?)
Down in my heart (where?)
Down in my heart
I've got the love of Jesus, love of Jesus
Down in my heart (where?)
Down in my heart to stay
Down in my heart (where?)
Down in my heart (where?)
Down in my heart
I've got the peace that passes understanding
Down in my heart (where?)
Down in my heart to stay
Way down in the depths of my heart (where?)
Down in the depths of my heart (where?)
Down in the depths of my heart
I've got the wonderful love of my blessed Redeemer
Way down in the depths of my heart (where?)
Down in the depths of my heart to stay
With all your heart and soul and strength
Heart and soul and strength
Heart and soul and strength
You shall love the Lord your God
With all your heart and soul and strength
Heart and soul and strength always
As I was cooking and making things yesterday, I felt the joy of serving others. I have always said that I love to give gifts to others; I love to bake and make things and give them away. It doesn't matter if I get anything in return or not; I find my joy in giving and in serving. And it's all because of Jesus. He gave us the example to follow.
Hebrews 2:1-3 (NKJV): "Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls."
My joy doesn't come from others. My joy doesn't come from the things I have, nor from the things that are given to me. My joy inside comes from the Joy of knowing Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
So how's your Joy this morning? Feeling grumpy? Sit back and examine your life. Find your joy. Then share it with others.
Blessings!
No comments:
Post a Comment