Yeah, I've taken time this morning so took some time to scan stores that I sometimes purchase from. Curious to see what they are pushing this Black Friday. Saw nothing that interest me personally, or for anyone else. In fact, I have no clue what anyone else would want - except my oldest son. He is actually the easiest one to buy for - "mom, I want snacks. Beef Jerky. etc." and that makes at least one gift easy. The others, not so much. I have to guess at sizes and guess at likes and dislikes, wants and no wants. It is really rather tiring. Twenty years ago shopping was much more fun; the little ones wanted anything that would bring them joy - and there was plenty of toys to do that! But now, they are grown and on their own pretty much, and they have all they want. It does make it quite difficult. It takes a lot of the joy of Christmas away for me, although I still love having everyone come over for a meal.
Speaking of a meal, yesterday's Thanksgiving meal was a win, I feel. It all came together perfectly and we had so much food to eat - and so much food left over. Well, maybe not enough turkey left over - which really surprised me, for that was a big bird!). DIL took what she could off the bone so she could make my son turkey enchiladas. I obviously made way much of mashed potatoes, and even I kept some, sending some home with the son and a grandson as well. I want to look up the mashed potato candy that my mother in law used to make - it is so rich and so good. I could experiment on my own, but why ruin good mashed potatoes, right? I remember she colored them pink and green and white and one could not eat more than a couple for they were so sweet. I wonder if it is powdered sugar mixed in with the mashed potatoes. Stay tuned if I can find the recipe over the next few days.
Another thing we can do with left over mashed potatoes - and my mother used to do this - add an egg to the mashed potatoes (although you don't have to) and mix well. Then form patties of the mashed potatoes and fry in oil. Mama always called them potato pancakes. To me it was more like fried mashed potatoes. LOL Regardless, frying them (like frying leftover cornbread) gives them a whole new taste and are so good. Why am I still talking about food? LOL We did not eat dinner last night after eating such a big meal at lunchtime - although hubby did eat potato chips and me pretzels about 7PM. We ended up watching a couple movies last night before heading to bed.
And here I could sleep in a bit this morning.... and I'm wide awake at 3:30AM. Sigh. Yes, I came in here and tried to go back to sleep, but could not. Hubby woke up when I got up, but dozed until after 5PM when he finally got up. Not sure what he was doing; he didn't bring me my coffee until about 5:30AM! What's up with that? And then he commented on 'why did you get up at 3:30AM?' Should I have responded I wanted to run a marathon? Why does ANYone get up at 3:30AM except they are wide awake?
As I was listening to ads on the news last night of all the 'black Friday sales' that are going on today, they were reminding everyone that we somehow have 'lost' 5 days before Christmas because Thanksgiving came late this year. In reality, is that true? Thanksgiving is ALWAYS the 4th Thursday in November. Christmas is ALWAYS the 25th of December. Same number of days... ok - so people are saying Thanksgiving was a week late due to the falling of the 4th Thursday - but it is really the same number of days. Since when do we let media tell us how we should shop? I have been shopping for Christmas gifts for months and have the majority under the trees (I hope). I still have orders coming in so I'm going to quit online shopping for awhile and see what I've ordered. Thank goodness I've been writing things down as I've wrapped (unfortunately not as I shopped and ordered). I will have a few last minute things to purchase from Sam's Club but that's no biggie. I love the scan and go - so I can go in the store, pick up what I want, scan it, and walk out the door - no standing in line. The only 'problem' would be is if they are out of what I want to purchase. And if they are, no biggie on that either.
Everything is overpriced anymore anyway. Do you agree? I'm thinking for the grandchildren - because they are so hard to buy for - I may fix up a 'goodie box' of things I like to make. Or maybe just make up a tin of cookies for them as a second gift. The first one is always a piece of clothing. What else can I get them? And I have to guess on sizes for they don't tell me anything. I've ordered what I thought they could wear. My children have gotten harder to buy for over the years too. Like me, there is nothing they need. Potted poinsettia plants work for me; I still want to plant some up next to the house and hope they survive the summer heat. I plan to go to Home Depot - not today of all days - but maybe Sunday, and pick up some poinsettias - I want to put in my pots on the stands in the courtyard. They are empty and bare right now. I had other ideas before, but they fell by the wayside.
I still have my 'wish tree' I want to put together and my intent was to do it this morning while hubby is at his Bible study. I don't need his comments and flack. But the excitement I felt about doing it has kind of ebbed. I want joy and happiness and fun and all that to fill the holidays. Today I feel like I'm struggling to come up for air, and I don't know why. Must be my controlling attitude, you think? Do I feel 'out of control' and that is putting on the heaviness in my heart? Have I lost my Joy? Why do I always feel that the silly, fun things I want to do will be shot down and ridiculed by others? I want to see grandchildren laughing and the great-grands giggling as they come to our house. I want joy to fill every room. What is going on with me - this range of emotions this morning? I long so much for what we had when the grandchildren were little and coming over for cookie baking and watching Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer or Frosty the Snowman; Miracle on 34th Street; It's a Wonderful Life; White Christmas.... and so many other Christmas movies I love. I should put one on this morning while hubby is gone, maybe that will help me out of my downward emotion. What is going on?
Psalm 136:1,26 (NKJV) Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! His mercy endures forever!
And because of His mercy enduring forever, I am forever grateful. His mercy is for me, and for you. I seek His mercy every day, for only He is good and only He can rescue me. Some of you may know that feeling. He finds that 'lost one' and brings them home. Granted, my life has not been what I wish it would have; based on choices I made. And that's what happens to many of us. We get focused on what was (sigh, my comments above), and push past what is, longing for the past. The times have changed - times of when we had to dress up to go to church (using that as an example); to where the youth wear whatever they feel like wearing. I'm in that 'boomer' area, I think, being born in 1949. I still like to dress up to go to church on Sunday mornings - dresses and heels. I feel most comfortable dressing that way on Sunday mornings. But, I can go to church on Saturday and dress in jeans and tennis shoes and feel perfectly fine about it. And it doesn't matter to Jesus. All He desires is that we come to Him. He wants us right where we are, and He will give us the mercies we need as we seek Him.
So many times people become 'saved'; meaning they accept Jesus into their lives - but they don't allow Him to be Lord. Does that make sense? As adults we have failed, even as Christian adults, because we have given our children a HEAD knowledge of God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. But we haven't given them a HEART knowledge of Him. They don't know Him as Lord. There is a big difference. I had a head knowledge of God growing up - that was it - so it was easy to do my own thing in my early 20's and 30's. Then I found myself in another generation; one before mine, and loving life hasn't been quite as much fun. The dreams I had of love and laughter and good times in my waning years have nearly faded away; they only remain in my heart. Ah... there are the emotions again. What is going on with me today. I think I need to just give this writing up and get dressed, and see what I can bake today. Baking and doing things to give to others always brings me joy. I may work on that tree; but something is holding me back and I don't know what. Does someone need a 4 ft Christmas tree this year? I would give this one to them. Is that why I'm holding back.
Ok - I'm going to make myself some hot chocolate with marshmallows and get dressed. Hope that you don't overspend today (black Friday) and enjoy the weekend.
Blessings!
No comments:
Post a Comment