Late afternoon or early evening my Christmas gatherings will start with my youngest and his family here in town coming over to have Christmas. I'm cooking 'garbage' for them - which is really a hamburger casserole that was aptly named garbage many years ago. Probably will have mashed potatoes and a vegetable to go with it. Looking forward to seeing grandchildren and great grandchildren. And so the holiday begins for me.
I've been sitting here this morning bemoaning the fact that I haven't bought hubby much of anything this year. He needs nothing. He hasn't mentioned anything specific he wants. I paid for his new hearing aids ($1600) so can that count as Christmas? He needs a wisdom tooth pulled ($1400) soon - so can I count that as Christmas too since I will be the one paying for it? I know that sounds strange, but he puts the bills on my credit card and then forgets about them. So, yes, I pay for them.
ADOT is in a hurry this year. My license plates aren't due until 2/15/2024 - and I received in my email the 'bill' for the next one. And I have to do an emissions check. UGH. At least I have about 6 weeks to get it. Now not to forget that I need it!
We slept in this morning - of course we didn't get to bed until around 10PM - watching movies, of course - but my alarm went off at 5PM and I shut it off. Became more alert about 5:40AM and finally got up. I needed the rest, I guess, for I did sleep well last night. Glad I did for today will be busy and my mind is all over the place trying to figure out how I can get at least one more gift or two for hubby, how can I finish up on everything.... and then I realize that it really isn't that important. I need to keep my eyes on what Christmas is...
A friend shared on her blog about some family things going on this week - two daughters had surgery, she had a cardiologist appointment, she has CML ..... and I already knew her hubby isn't that well.... I had sent her a note after reading it and she responded late Thursday. I apparently did not read my emails yesterday for I didn't see it until this morning. I want to do something for them..... have a meal delivered to them. I don't have time to bake anything. I'm going to have to think on this and see what I can do. I just want them to know we love them and care for them. Maybe I can make garbage and take over along with a small dish of mashed potatoes and vegetables for their dinner. Will have to ponder this. My heart just wants to let them know they aren't forgotten in the midst of their trials.
I had a great breakfast with my boss yesterday. We exchanged our gifts and I told her that "I'm not doing all this next year, so this year decide what you will want for next year." Will see how that goes. If I even remember telling her that. She says her family loves all that I send - the kids will ask if I made such and such - and when she says yes, they dive into it. Is that a good thing? :-) It's nice to know what I do make is appreciated. My favorite doctor stopped by and brought me a flower that he usually gives me each year.
I need to start thinking about a new goal for 2024 for Goodreads. I enjoyed challenging myself and I think I remembered to put in every book that I read this year. I put in to read 36 books as I would rather succeed than beat myself up because I didn't. I show that I read 50 books. So this year, I think I will put 50 books and see if I can beat that one. Stay tuned on that!
Do you know the story of the 12 days of Christmas and what it actually means? Keep reading....
The partridge in a pear tree is Jesus Christ. Two turtle doves are the Old and New Testaments. Three French hens stand for faith, hope, and love. The four calling birds are the four gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. The five golden rings recall the Torah or the Law, the first five books of the Old Testament (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy). The six geese a-laying stand for the six days of creation. The seven swans a-swimming represent the sevenfold gifts of the Holy Spirit - Prophesy, Serving, Teaching, Exhortation, Contribution, Leadership, and Mercy. The eight maids a-milking are the eight Beatitudes. Nine ladies dancing are the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit - Love, Joy, Peace, Patiences, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, and Self-Control. The ten lords a-leaping are the Ten Commandments. The eleven pipers piping stand for the eleven faithful disciples. The twelve drummers drumming symbolize the twelve points of belief in the Apostles' Creed.
And I will leave you with that. As we head on into the weekend and a crazy time of gathering and eating way too much.... I wish you joy and
Blessings!
No comments:
Post a Comment