I had so much fun Saturday afternoon, even though it was only for an hour or so. Of course, as I have mentioned many times, ANY time I spend with a grandchild is a joy to me. People have no understanding of what joy they bring me.
Saturday afternoon I got to pick up my youngest grandson to take him shopping for his birthday. Now that the grandchildren are getting older, it is harder to buy a gift for them. Some of them actually prefer gift cards - or cash - but I really do dislike doing that except as a last resort. I was able to get David for awhile and I took him shopping for a birthday gift as his birthday is tomorrow and I don't know if we will see him.
David is such a joyful child - most of the time. Well, most always when I get him. Saturday was no exception. He chattered all the way to the store, and although I couldn't hear everything since I have a van and he was in the very back in his carseat, he would answer my questions and continue talking as we drove along.
We walked up and down the toy aisles so that David could see what all they had in that store. Then we walked through a couple of the aisles again. We knew he wasn't interested in the dolls and 'girl stuff' so it was easy to skip those aisles. We found a couple aisles he was interested in - Star Wars, Action Figures, Lego stuff - and so much more! He was so funny, looking at the different things and just chattering about who has what.
The first thing David chose was a set of three figures. I think he said the middle one was a soldier. He seemed fairly excited about those. Then he chose a Chima (?) box and a Star Wars box (I think). We were on our way out of the aisle when he saw a 'Halo' box on the floor. Oh wow, he wanted that too. I quickly calculated up what all this was going to cost and told him he could have it. He was soooo happy with all his choices.
Of course, as I often do when I have these grandchildren, we had to get ice cream. Sometimes it is just for them and me, but this time, since we were at Walmart, we picked up a box. He was wanting Popsicles, but I told him it had to have chocolate in it. (I do have to set some guidelines you know!) He found a box that had little ice cream cones in it covered in chocolate to take home. We purchased his toys and the ice cream and headed back to his house.
On the way back I reminded him that the gifts were also from Grandpa, and I took his photo with all his choices so that Grandpa could see what he chose. David obliged me, seemed a little confused about what I was saying. Finally he says, "Is it because Grandpa let you come get me and take me shopping for my birthday presents, is that why they are from him too?" I cracked up - and just said yes, that is why they are from him too.
It was only for a short time, but I had so much fun with David. He is so precious, so loving, so caring. And, with me, he is obedient, thoughtful, and knows exactly what will warm my heart. He is such a joy. I saw David briefly yesterday after church. When he saw me his eyes lit up and he ran to give me a hug. I love it.
God 'lets' us do a lot of things and they are all gifts from Him. I am so grateful for the precious gifts He gives me - and my prayer is that I will notice more of them and give Him thanks for all that He gives me. I try to daily thank Him for everything - and even throughout the day. He blesses me so much with so much - why not thank Him? I'm sure that when we turn our attention to God and notice Him, His eyes light up and His arms open wide to hug us too. And it IS because....
Blessings!
No comments:
Post a Comment