Saturday, August 10, 2024

I remember why I work....

 Yesterday was my 75th birthday and it was a good day.  It really was.  Started off with having breakfast with my oldest son and we had great food and I (at least) had enjoyable company.  From there I decided to stop at Big Lots - the one by us is closing, and I was curious what was 'on sale'.  I did buy a few things, but 10% and 20% isn't enough for me to buy something I hadn't thought about needing.  Just because it was on sale didn't mean I needed to buy it.  Anyway - from there I thought about getting my car washed, but forgot it when I got a text from hubby asking if I would pick up his prescription (out of my way) because I was already out.  I headed that way (then remembered it was the opposite direction of the car wash. Oh well. I get almost to the drug store and hubby texts that 'oh, it won't be ready until after 2PM.  It was about 11:30AM.  I was near home so came on home.  Hubby was in a weird mood... you know, knowing he needed to 'let me do my own thing' and wanting my undivided attention.  I jumped on the computer for a bit so that I could get the time-sensitive meeting done.  Finished, I told hubby I was heading out to get my car washed.

I get to the car wash and they talked me into a reduced price of $18 to detail my car.  I didn't hear the entire conversation but said yes, and left my car with them and went in.  It took about 45 minutes for all of it to be completed (I hadn't thought about the detail taking an additional 30 minutes), then I stopped at Michaels on the way home. Didn't need anything there either.  Came home and started working on an art diamond project I want to finish for my little sister's birthday next week. Should be able to finish it this weekend, then need to get it framed.   Worked on it a bit and I started to get hungry.

Now mind you, hubby had already told me he wasn't going to take me to dinner (I figured out he is low on $ due to co-pays on his doctor's appointment and my making him pay for his training).  He later told me he'd take me out to dinner and I had to decide where to go. I had a hankering for chicken fajitas so we went to Chili's.  I had a reward for a molten lava cake with ice cream... so yeah, I got it and ate it. Yum. Came home and got the usual question of "do you want to watch a movie, read, or what?' I told him I just wanted to enjoy the quiet as I did a bit of crochet.  

I did get a couple more gifts yesterday afternoon.  One was from my older brother - he sent me hiking sticks, similar to what I had gotten hubby, but mine are in a carry bag. :-)  Guess I need to give in to my love of hiking and once the weather cools down, get my daughter to hike with me. She's the only one that will.  Not that we do any 'great' hikes, but just enough to keep our bodies moving.  He was disappointed his card didn't arrive yesterday, which makes me curious.  My other 'gift' was from my male boss - he had a cheesecake sent to me from Junior's Cheesecake in Brooklyn.  Well, don't have a Cheesecake delivered in the summer months in Arizona.  Especially with the hot weather we are having.  We picked it up immediately after UPS delivered it.  All the dry ice had been melted and 'gone', the bottom of the box was a little wet.  The box the cheesecake was in was damp.  Nothing was cold or cool (and I know they are to arrive frozen!) but it was like 'room temperature'.  I put it in the refrigerator, and we can have it another time.  It was nice of my boss to do that.  I either heard from or got a text (or a post on FB) from all my grandchildren... except 5 of the boys.  LOL One remembered the day before and said he'd call on my birthday... but I guess he forgot. Which is fine - I know he is busy too.  He may call today.  I know hubby likes to talk with him too.  First year one of my grandsons didn't text' - he always has in the past.  I had two granddaughters - and two great granddaughters either call or send me a video of singing happy birthday.  That is always a special treat. 

And that was about the extent of my day.  Since I know I have two cards still to arrive (I forgot - my SIL from Indiana called and wished me a happy birthday too and mentioned she had mailed a card) I can still be celebrating, right?    

But with the way my day went - breakfast out, a little shopping, getting the car washed, working on a project, dinner out.... if I was retired, is that the way my day would go?  Sigh.  I think I will tough it out and keep working.  Although hubby still comes in and sits and wants my full attention.  When I got home yesterday and sat down, he had to tell him how his morning went with his bible study.  And again at dinner last night he had to again tell me how his day went.  What can I do but sit and listen.  I guess at least it is conversation.  Kinda of like what I do in here every morning, huh?  Tell you about my day(s) and you sit and 'listen' to all I have to say, right?

Our neighbors are doing something in their courtyard this morning.  I have heard a saw, and pounding... I didn't go out to look, but I think hubby did for I heard to the door open.   One has to go out in the early morning hours to get anything done now.  Which reminds me, one of our 'security lights' fell during the wind blowing the other night and hubby wanted me to hold the ladder for him while he figures out how to put it back up.  He is afraid he will fall from the ladder.  I prefer calling my son-in-law and he comes and backs his truck up, stands on the tailgate and in seconds it is fixed.  Yeah, we've had trouble with these lights before and that's what he has done.  We could contact him, but I'm glad that hubby is 'attempting' to do something on his own rather than calling someone else.  I'd look at it, but he saw it first. 

Psalm 46:1 (NIV):  God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.

Grateful for God's blessings and help in all things.  As you know, when I work out, I am frequently saying "Lord, HELP" cause some of those exercises are really hard!  I got on the scale yesterday morning and I had GAINED 4 pounds!!  Sure - it MAY be muscle, but I hate it my body is going OUT and not IN.  And that was before I had breakfast!  I guess I really need to just watch what I eat - I wonder if I can cry out "Lord, HELP' and He will help me get rid of this belly and butt fat.  What do you think?  He may not help me with that, but I know that I run to Him many, many times when I am hurting on the inside and need direction; or when I feel so alone and wish I could run away and just sit with Him for a spell.  I keep thinking that when it is cooler I will be able to go outside and sit and just 'be'.... but it never fails that hubby takes that as an invitation to join me out there.  I am being smothered to death by association. LOL Lord HELP!  Just kidding.  This is my life.  I chose it.  I live it.  

No matter what, I depend on God to help me in any and all things.  He is truly and has been truly, my refuge and strength.  Some days more than others.  Until you walk in my shoes, you have no idea of my life.  Just like I have no idea of yours.  

To God be the glory.  Great things He has done.

Blessings!



No comments: