Sunday, August 18, 2024

Back home and content....

 Other than a run by the drug store to pick up hubby's eyedrop medication, we came straight home yesterday from the hotel. It really was nice to get away - and it causes one to appreciate what they have. It was good to get home.  I finished up the blanket I had started while at the hotel and ran out of yarn - and as we watched a couple of movies last night, I got a good start on another blanket using my scraps of yarn.  It will be a mismash of different yarns and colors.  I did make a run to the grocery store yesterday and picked up a few things.  So what did we have for dinner?  Pizza.  Hey- they were on sale! I don't normally buy pizza at the store, but did this time, and that is what we had. After all, I am still on vacation, right?

I came down with a headache bad enough last night that I took an ibuprofen.  By the time we went to bed, I was sweating (what's up with that?).  Could it be that because hubby had the temperature down in our hotel room 73-75 all the time and coming back here it was 80 that my body was rebelling?  I don't know, but I knew my head hurt.  I was sweating.  We went to bed and I slept sound all night (didn't even get up once!) and didn't wake up until about 5:30AM when I could hear hubby walking back and forth in the hallway to check on me, to see if I was up yet.  Seriously, his shuffling feet wake me up most mornings when I could use a bit more sleep.  I finally got up and came in here, and here he came with my coffee.  Asking me how my head was, did I continue to sweat, etc.  Was I going to church this morning, and if not, he would go alone.  I just told him I don't know what I'm doing yet (cause I wasn't quite awake yet!).  Part of me is entertaining the thought of staying home - especially if I could stay alone.  I can watch the service on my phone or computer, so I wouldn't really miss it.  It's the being alone.  Not sure if I should go or not - am I coming down with something?

I peeked outside while hubby was in the shower and saw that it rained.  That could explain my headache last night.  I wonder how much it rained, for I heard nothing. My sore throat has disappeared, I think. But I feel exhausted for some reason, although I slept deep last night.  Do I need to stay home and rest or get my butt moving this morning and go to church? Do I want to 'dress up'? Or just throw on shorts and a t-shirt? I still have an hour to make the decision.  I am not understanding the exhaustion in my body this morning. I'll take some olive leaf extract this morning and some elderberry in case I am coming down with something. Just not sure if I am, and don't want to spread it at church if I am. I have an hour.

It's Sunday.  Last day of 'vacation'.  Last day of rest before work tomorrow.  Nothing is planned, other than church. Our lives are so boring.  I can read. I can sew. I can crochet or knit. I can cook. This is my life.   B-O-R-I-N-G.  Sometimes it is a good thought to keep working, right? At least it keeps my mind active.  If I could just do something different 'alone'..... but the joy is always stolen from me.  

Philippians 1:21 (NKJV):  For to me, to live is Christ, to die is gain.

How would you interpret that sentence?  Paul wrote it to the Philippians from the prison he was in. Yes, Paul was in prison when he wrote to the Philippians.... and that book of the Bible is know as the book of JOY.  Can you even imagine?  And the prisons back then are nothing like what people get pampered with today!  Most times they were sitting in mud.  Sewage.  Slime.  YUCK.  They weren't fed, unless they had friends who brought them food, which Paul had.  Luke was with him a lot.  But Paul considered it all joy to be suffering for his belief in Jesus.  Could we feel that way?

We get upset when we don't get our way, when we don't get what we believe in the way we want it. We throw temper tantrums and our feelings get hurt!  And here is Paul, in prison, writing to the Philippians, telling them it is all joy to live for Christ.  But Paul got it.  Paul said the big picture.  He may have been suffering at that time, but he knew that as he lived for Christ in this life, he could share Christ more with others.  BUT, he also shared that if he should die, it would be a gain, for he would BE with Christ, and his death would also be a witness to the world he was sharing to about Christ Jesus.  So to live, he could share, and if he died, he had the greater for he knew he would be face to face with Jesus.  Hallelujah!  I wonder today if many people think like that.  If they are going through tough times, do they throw in the towel and say "I Quit!" or do they keep going, knowing that however it ends up, Christ is in it?  What would you do?  Would you give up and bemoan and complain about your circumstances, or would you praise God that you were allowed to suffer, to deal with disappointment, to process health issues and diseases, do you praise Jesus in spite of it, or do you quit and moan about your life?

Honestly, I guess I moan and groan about my life a lot, don't I!  Guilty me.  Instead I should be grateful for this life that I have.  God has been good to me. What I have been writing is also speaking to me this morning.  As most times it does.   Be joyful in all things.  Things happen - good and bad.  It doesn't mean we are loved less.  Sometimes we do stupid things and cause difficult things to happen. And sometimes God takes that trial we are going through to make us better people, to be more concerned about others than we are about our own well-being.  

To God be the glory, great things He has done.

Blessings!


No comments: