and we still wonder each year "where did the year go"? I don't think this year is any different, although this year for me was a lot different than years past. I was lazy. Well, not always, but most of the time I would have to admit. I had taken early retirement October 28, 2011 and in doing that, I also took off most of 2012. Actually I started back to work the week of Thanksgiving this year. It has been a busy 5-6 weeks in learning a new job and getting used to driving early in the morning again.
All in all, I want to believe 2012 was a good year. I did a lot of playing, a lot of walking - including the 13.1 miles mini marathon in May. I did a lot of canning bread and butter pickles, with the help of a grandson. I spent time with some of the grandchildren. I even got to spend a little time with my children. (Guilt trip - never did get the weekend with my daughter and I don't think it is going to happen any time soon either now that I'm working again.) I cleaned a little. I got things in my back room I wanted. Didn't do a whole lot of things cause the money just wasn't there - but that is ok. This year is going to be one in which we tighten the money bag strings much tighter since I am making so much less than before.
But the difference is that I am - thus far - enjoying my job. I have a job, which is always a good thing, with insurance. With hubby's social security and my check we can still pay our bills - we don't have to do a lot of things we've done in the past - and again, there is nothing we 'need'.
Tomorrow is January 1, 2013. We will meet the family over at the daughter's house for lunch. I still need to get more barbecue sauce for the ribs and pick up the can of black-eyed peas. Already have the cole slaw - just need to put together my seasoning for it. I can't remember if my middle child likes it how I make the sauce from scratch or when I just pour coleslaw dressing over it. Hmmm. And does it really matter to him. He's the only one who really likes coleslaw anyway. Hubby likes coleslaw too, I guess, but not as much as my son. The others just like the ribs, I think. :-)
In Ralphd00d's blog this morning he mentioned he couldn't remember what I called lunch on New Year's Day. The poor man's lunch. My mama taught us that when she was growing up many times all that a poor man could get was a piece of pork, some black-eyed peas, and some cabbage for lunch. Hence the name and the menu. I've changed the menu over the years from pork chops to ham to now ribs - which I think everyone likes better. The cooked cabbage (which none of my family would eat) was changed over to coleslaw. The black-eyed peas became better tasting with jalapenos in them. All in all, we have plenty to eat and enjoy being together, for the most part.
My daughter started something a couple years ago about us listing something in three or four different areas that we would like to change in the coming year. I probably did not meet my goal. Again. Unless I put that I'd do the mini marathon then I could at least check off one. I always put weight loss - but it just doesn't happen. I enjoy my food way too much to give it up willingly. Especially the bad stuff. But I will give up some beginning tomorrow.
Yep, I am not going to eat the pork tomorrow. In fact, I have cooked one package of the ribs today so that hubby and I can have them for lunch. We are beginning our 'first fruit' fast tomorrow and although I haven't heard specifically what he plans to give up (maybe he will give up tv a night or two in the evenings?), I plan to give up all meat except for chicken. Doesn't mean I will have chicken every day - but will have it occasionally to get protein. I am giving up all breads and bread products, and desserts. Bread and desserts will be the hardest for me. I'm addicted to carbs.
Why am I doing the 'first fruit' fast? I want to fast and give back to God the first part of the year. I also have a specific list of things I am fasting for, my prayer list. I don't need to share it - but I will share that at the current time I have 11 items listed on my list to fast and pray about. I am believing that although I may not get the little red convertible I'm asking for, I am confident that the other items listed are in line with what God would have me ask for.
I've been busy this morning and have gotten the Christmas tree, decorations and most of the knick knacks put away. Hubby has things put back out in the shed. I meant to get some work done this morning - but haven't gotten to it yet. It is now nearly 11am and I guess I need to fix lunch - the ribs are done and are smelling sooooo good! After lunch I plan to pick up a couple of the granddaughters and spend a little time with them. When I get back I will probably get online and do some work. I know I will have lots to get done. Don't plan to be out long.
I hope that you are making fun plans to celebrate 2013 arriving and setting mental goals, at least, for changes you would like to make in your own life. Yeah, we usually do the straighten up my life, lose weight, eat better, exercise - all that usual stuff. But what else is there that you know you need to work on and just keep pushing it back into the background so you don't have to deal with it? Perhaps it is a bad habit, an addiction, an attitude, an issue. It could be anything. Like I said, I have a list of 11 items I'm going to focus on this year and hopefully, will continue throughout the year to achieve my goals. I hope you take some time to seriously think about at least one thing you would like to change in you. You can not change other people - trust me, I know this. I have tried and it just doesn't happen. Look within yourself and work on changes within you - and you will see others change around you. It starts with you. And it starts with me.
Until we 'meet' again in 2013 -
Blessings!
No comments:
Post a Comment