It is going to be a productive day today. I've already decided that. Especially since I have so very much to do. PLUS, we have been given instructions to delete a lot of saved information - our folders are full and there isn't much space to be had... so guess I will be working on that this morning. And it will be hard - afterall, I AM a packrat so will need to determine if I save it or delete it. I could print it if I need to - will see.....
It's a new month. I keep thinking that before we know it, next week will be July. And I look back at the months past and see that I haven't gotten much done, as usual. There is so much I want to do - and yet, have not done it. I need to make up my mind to 'just do it' and stop allowing circumstances and things to interfere with what I want to accomplish. I just find that it is very difficult to clean out closets or rooms when someone else is around. I like being emeshed in my thoughts as I sort through things. With enough interruptions, I quietly put everything back and walk away from it. I often laugh and say if I could be alone for one month in my house, I would have every closet cleaned out and every room de-cluttered. :-) That comment will go over like a lead balloon, I'm sure.....
Last week was, in fact, an eventful week. Last Thursday morning on my way to work my van got rear-ended. And it really wasn't the other driver's fault - nor mine. I was stopping in time when I saw the car about 5 car lengths in front of me (I leave early for work so I don't have to be in a hurry to get there) put their brake lights on. I was slowly slowing down, when about 3 car lengths to go - and a pickup truck jumped in front of me - and had to slam on his brakes. That caused me to have to really push on mine for I was only a very short distance from him. Unfortunately, because I had to immediately stop to keep from hitting the stupid pick-up and the driver, the car behind me didn't have time to come to a complete stop. He stopped in time - then the brakes 'released' and grabbed again. That 'release' caused him to hit my bumper.
We were able to pull of the side of the road (of course it was the center lane on the freeway). This young man comes to my van to see if I was ok - and I was - just shaken up. I called 911 and they sent DPS out, who had us pull off the next exit and into a parking lot. I got out and looked at my van, not knowing what to expect. It was only the bumper that was cracked. But the young man's car - a Nissan sentra, I believe, the older model - was a mess. The hood was pushed up, the grill broke, the bumper... I felt really bad for him - oh - and his passenger bag had deployed. He only carried liability insurance - for which I am grateful, but doesn't do much for his vehicle.
As I drove off, intending to drive on to work, I discovered I couldn't get the van up over 40 miles an hour - and there was a loud rushing noise - like wind. I turned around and drove home. After making the necessary calls to insurance companies, we took my van over to get fixed - and discovered that the tail pipe was bent in like a tight u-shape. I figure the other car, being lower, went under my van just enough to hit the tailpipe and bend it, and break the bumper. They gave a $1500 estimate - but from what they sent us - it looks like less than $1000 to repair. I should have it back by the end of the week. His insurance did provide me a 2015 Chevy Cruze to drive as I needed transportation to work. It's a "cute" little car, and I'm sure very efficient, but I think I would like one a little bigger. I'm used to the suburban, and now the van. Don't need one as big as the van, but not quite as small as the Cruze.
But I thank God that He did protect me and keep me safe - and my van wasn't damaged that bad.
I found it interesting how my children responded. Two wanted me to go to the ER, and the middle child was just glad I was ok. Personalities. Very interesting. But, I was fine - and am fine - so did NOT go to the ER. There was no need to. I get a massage in a couple weeks and I will have them just focus more on my neck and back to make sure there aren't any kinks that I don't feel yet.
Today is February 1 and my dear adopted Aunt Sue will be moving into an assisted living facility. I'm happy for her - it is a very nice place. I just feel she is being pushed to move NOW. Which can be good - and yet - she will be going from a fairly good size two bedroom "house" to a one bedroom, living room, small kitchen room. I saw her Saturday and she is taking about every stitch of clothing she has. Now mind you, she does have a small walk-in closet, BUT - her clothes at the house filled an area the size of 3 closets AND she had a rack of clothes out in the garage. I tried to help her condense down - that she did not need them - but she could not comprehend NOT needing to take all her clothes. She boxed up all her pots and pans - I tried to explain that with the facility serving her a nice lunch in a nice dining room, she only needed one or two saucepans, and only one skillet, and her small crockpot. She agreed, but.... She is moving this morning - the movers were to be there at 7:30AM - which is about now. She will be exhausted tonight, I'm sure, but hopefully I can go over one evening this week to check on her. Her 'real' niece who inherits everything has given me three rude-ish calls Friday and Saturday - so I'm staying away. I will let her handle the move - I certainly don't need to be involved, but if she had asked, I would have taken today off to help.
I need to get to work now - but I'm praying that YOU have a safe day and make it a productive one. When travel is difficult, thank God that He gets you through it.
Blessings!
No comments:
Post a Comment