Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Mixed Emotions.....

My desire is to be Christ-like. I want to live and breathe Jesus in me. I remember reading about Bill Bright's wife, Vonette, who was standing in line at a grocery store and a lady, whom she did not know, was standing behind her and started crying. She reached out to Vonette and touched her arm, and said basically, "I don't know what you have, but whatever it is, I want it." Of course the lady was referring to the Holy Spirit living within Vonette. That's what I want. Yes, I'm opening myself up here and saying what I really feel. I want Jesus, the Holy Spirit, living within me so strong that everything I do and every word I speak is a reflection of Him.

And I fail daily in my quest. Praise God for His Grace, His Mercy, His Forgiveness. But it is the cry of my heart to be so close to Him.

So with saying that, I'm pondering on how to deal with this situation here at work. Here's the situation....

Corporate deleted a section of reports under 'Business Objects'. Rather, they deleted Business Objects. We knew it was going away, they gave us plenty of warning. We told them specifically several times which reports we HAD to have for reporting purposes to the State. They deleted the process anyway and did not move our reports to another 'microstrategy' section where my other reports have been moved to and from where I pull them from. I received NO response from anyone prior to losing the report. Not Corporate, not the managers - NO ONE RESPONDED prior to May lst to give me any information. So here May lst came and I had no report. I sent an email to the director and managers and stated that I had not received a response, and now I had no report to send out to their department.

One of the managers quickly sent an apology instant message. The other manager, when he came in, came over and tried to explain Corporate screwed up, they were to move the report, it didn't happen, blah blah blah, and they were working with this young man in their department that they just promoted to data analyst because he knows how to move reports around and create spreadsheets (seriously) to re-create this report. I understood that I would no longer need to concern myself with the sending out of this report. Therefore, I sent them all the distribution list - and no longer concerned myself with it. The past two days the data analyst sent out the report.

Yesterday afternoon he sends me an appointment to meet with me about the report. I accepted it. At 2PM he comes over and says 'do you want to create the report every morning (it will take 10-15 minutes) or send out. I said I don't want to create it. So he tells me that every morning then he will create the report and will place it on the g drive, and it will be there 'sometime between 7:30 and 8:00AM (I send out the other report between 6:15 and 7:00AM!!) and I can go in and pull it and send out. I told him that I had the understanding that I was not involved in the report at all anymore, that he was taking care of it. He looks at me and says, "I'm not sending it out, that is for you to do" and walks away.

I have pondered this for awhile and now have mixed emotions about it. I was told by the manager that I did not have to do the report at all anymore (that is what I heard). This new "data analyst" is tends to 'lord' it over everyone in this area and thinks he is so smart that he even put as his signature 'the spreadsheet whisperer' - has told me that he will create the report and save it to the folder - and it is up to me to keep checking until he gets it put there, and then send it out.

So - do I just do it as he says? Or do I bring it all to the attention of his manager and ask him and then be told to do it? Should I say anything? I keep asking myself what would Jesus do. I don't want to cause issues. I don't want to be petty. It's not a big deal on sending out the report other than it will not be there when I come in to send out the other report and I will have to keep checking that specific folder until it gets put there.

My question also is - if he creates it and puts it in that specific folder, why can't he just stick it on an email and send out as well? He's done that the last two days and it makes more sense to me since he already has it. Geez. What to do.

I think I will discuss with my boss when she comes in - oh bummer - I just remembered - I won't see her until probably afternoon as she has an outside appointment this morning. POOH!! Now I get to ponder this some more. Hmmmmm

So, what would you do? Ask the manager for clarification? Just do it? Let it go? What? Just curious....

Blessings!

2 comments:

Ralphd00d said...

I say go to your boss first, and see what she recommends. She may go directly to his boss to clarify and determine who needs to do the report sending. I would think it is wasting your time ans resources to have to wait and check for someone else to generate it, especially since with just a few keystrokes they can send it out themselves.

Rev Mom said...

Absolutely correct. I did go to my boss and she recommended I go to his director (not his direct manager) and share I am willing to send the report out, but if he is putting it together, why make me a middle man who has to wait. I did go to the director, and she was not aware he had come back to me saying I had to do it... she told me no, I was not to send out the report, she would speak to his manager and would tell him I was not to do it. This has happened; he is sending out the report, and he has two back-ups should he not be available. I am not involved. :-)