Wednesday, October 8, 2014

A New Challenge!

Healthy Pathways, which is our 'health program' here at work has started a new challenge today. I'm excited about it. I like to be pushed in areas that I choose to be. I don't want to be TOLD I have to do something, but if I CHOOSE to do it - well, there is a big difference! Starting today our challenge is called "Healthy Pathways Race the States challenge". The challenge is from today, October 8 through November 18. It is a 'steps' challenge, meaning, walking. We "depart" today from Bedford, NH and on October 14th we are to have walked enough steps to arrive at Waltham, MA. They have averaged it out to 49,000 steps a week.

Now I usually get around 6,000 - 8,000 a day, depending on what I do. If I get on my treadmill, I can get 11,000+. I think I am going to have to do the treadmill to make sure I get my steps in, for there are some days I don't get 6,000 - days when I'm really lazy and just sit all day. Or if I'm at work, am at my desk all day. That part is out of my control, but to make up for it, I will need to use the treadmill - which I need to do anyway.

So for 49,000 steps a week that equals 7,000 steps a day. For some people that isn't a problem at all - just at work they walk over 10,000. But for me, having a desk job, it is harder to reach that number on a daily basis. But I have decided to accept this challenge - for one thing, it is good for me. For another, it's fun, and I'm only answerable to myself. If I make it - great. If not - I still have succeeded cause I have made myself walk a bit more.

What is the prize? Well, it all comes under getting healthy - and walking more - but the company puts these challenges out so that we can earn points to get a lower insurance rate. If one is healthy, they don't use the medical benefits as much, so their rate gets lowered. Win-win. I have already reached goal for 2015 and earned my $250 benefit deduction, but I still like to do the challenges. I'm pumped - at least for now. I can check every day and see how far I've gotten. I'm not sure if the program will show daily how far we got (state-wise), but at least I will know by October 14th (or before) I should be in Waltham, MA.

All this is about getting healthy - physically. We also need to be healthy - spiritually.

Think about that - are you getting healthy physically - and spiritually? If not - why not? Surely you can do one or the other - or both!

Life is too short to spend your later years of life struggling to breathe, or to walk, because you haven't taken care of yourself. Life is way too short to not live with knowing Jesus as Lord and Savior.

Where are you in your life?

Blessings!

No comments: