Friday, December 6, 2013

God's Protection.... Just in Time....

Do you ever stop, as you are heading out the back door to your car, that you need to stop and do something before you leave? Or maybe make a potty stop 'one more time' before heading out that door? Get a drink of water. Stop to pet the dog. Give your spouse or child an extra hug. Or you remember something you forgot to do. Or get. or decide to grab a bowl of cereal and eat it before heading out the lunch. Or grab an apple to eat in the afternoon. Has a thought to do something stopped you from walking out the door on occasion?

Have you noticed that when those things happen, and you do them, you miss an accident. Or you just make a light. Or the traffic seems just a bit lighter than usual in the spot you are in. Little things. Perhaps you notice a billboard of something you needed a reminder on. Or a cool license plate goes by you that either brings you a chuckle, or reminds you of something or someone.

Most mornings I will grab a bowl of oatmeal and take it to work with me (I make up a batch of overnight oatmeal that we can heat up and eat 3-4 mornings). Some mornings I am ready soon enough that I can heat it up and eat at home, but that is when it is about 5:45AM when I still have time. Otherwise I pack it in a bowl and take it with me, to heat up when I get here at work and enjoy.

This morning it was 5:55AM and I was ready for hubby and I to pray together and I head out the door. I decided to heat up my bowl of oatmeal and eat it. Afterall, I still had at least 5 minutes before I usually leave. Of course by the time I finished eating the oatmeal, had a small glass of milk with it, finished off my coffee, and prayed with hubby, it was probably about 6:10AM or so. I usually leave around 6AM. Ok - so I'm ten minutes "late" heading out to work. I still don't have to start work until 8AM so I have plenty of time - and being a FRIDAY (YEA!!) traffic will be lighter than a M-T workday as a lot of people work from home on Fridays.

So I get in my (cold) car (it was 33 degrees here this morning!!) and head down the freeway to work. I had not gone very far when all four lanes started backing up, coming to a stop. Then slowly, the started moving again. I hadn't been on the freeway but about 5 minutes so wondered what that was about. We went about 1/4 mile and I saw the problem. In the lane to my left (I drive in the center lane to work) was a 4 car pileup. Yep. A big black pickup truck was #1, and it looked like two sedans and then a little white sports car. All scrunched together. Liquid was on the ground around the cars so I will assume it was water from the radiator. It had obviously just happened moments before as the police had not even arrived yet. No one was out of their cars.

As I drove by the accident, I thanked God for keeping me at home an extra 10-15 minutes so that I missed being next to it when it happened. I also prayed for all those involved - there had to be four drivers and perhaps passengers. I am confident that God gave me the thought to eat my oatmeal at home this morning (I brought it to work yesterday) so that my time would be delayed and I would be protected. God does that, you know.

A friend shared recently that she decided years ago that if she remembered something, or had to go potty, or the phone would ring as she started to shut the door to leave - she would always stop and take care of whatever it was that distracted her. She always felt that was God wanting her to wait so that He could protect her from danger.

Similar circumstances have happened to me over the years - i.e., accidents happening right after me or in a lane or two over from me as I drive by. I always thank God for His protection over me and over my vehicle. In fact, that is what we pray every morning for not only ourselves but for those around us. Something like this - "Father, please protect me and my vehicle, and protect those that surround me". We also pray it over our children and grandchildren and believe that even if an accident does occur, that God wlil protect them. An answer to that prayer was given weeks ago when I shared about a granddaughter and grandson who had been t-boned on the way to school in Indiana. The SUV was totaled, but the grandchildren and their friend climbed out the window with bruises and no serious physical consequences.

My children know I pray over them every day. There have been mornings that I would get a call with the question 'did you pray for me today?' and I'm thankful I can tell them 'yes'.

What about you? When you get into your vehicle, do you think about praying for protection as you drive about the city or go to work or on vacation? What about your children, your spouse, your grandchildren? Do you whisper a prayer for them that they will be protected as they go to school (whether driving or not!) and to work or to other activities?

True, your prayers may not prevent an accident from happening and from them being hurt - but that relieves you from responsibility. How's that? I learned a long time ago that when I give each of my loved ones and their care and protection to God, I give HIM the responsibility to take care of them. When He allows something to happen, I know there is a good reason for it - even if I am hurt or crushed by what happens. God is always in control, whether I pray or not. But when I pray, I relinquish MY control, or my thinking I have control, over all things. He is far more able to handle things than I am - and I willingly relinquish all control to Him.

Take some time today and say a prayer for yourself, and your loved ones, that they will be protected, and the vehicle they are in, and even for those that surround them in their vehicle, so that all are protected. You will be glad you did - especially when something does happen.

Blessings!

No comments: