Do you ever feel like that? Do you feel like the toil of life has sucked the life out of you? Petty disagreements within families, issues with relationships, the government taking and taking from you..... today I feel weary. I want to find a hole and crawl in it. And put a cover over it.
But then, I guess that isn't so good - when that happens, I can't get out and enjoy life. I can't choose to live. I can't smell the fragrance of a beautiful flower, see a beautiful sunrise or sunset, get the special text or phone call. I can't love on grandchildren, I can't be with my children, I can't make a difference in someone's life.
So I choose to live life. I choose to get up out of bed, and take a deep breath every morning, and breathe in and out. I choose to live and move and breathe. I choose life.
2 Corinthians 4:7-9 says "But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; 9 persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed."
What is that saying we used to say as children? "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me." Yeah, we used to tauntingly say that to other children, but when we are adults, words do hurt. They do crush. They do break us.
Words like phony. Hypocrit. Stupid. Idiot. Ignorant. Irresponsible. Controlling. Critical. Selfish. Lazy. Conceited. and these are just a few that come to mind.
So what do you do when people speak one of these labels to you? Do you throw a temper tantrum? Do you step back and ask yourself if it is true? Do you get angry and call them words back? Do you "withdraw" because you are just afraid the label might fit and you don't want to be known that way but don't want to acknowledge they just might be right?
Or do you come back with 'Hey, you called me this, and I don't agree. Please explain why you have said it." Of course you must realize that some things are just said in fun. Not meaning to hurt, yet if they do, rather than hold it in and let it fester, deal with it and talk to the person alone and see where it came from. They may not realize they hurt you.
When you retaliate and label other people because you were labeled, doesn't that put you in the same category as the person who labeled you that you are angry with?
When I was growing up it was accepted in our family when the parents called one of us 'stupid' or 'foolish' or 'irresponsible'. We didn't know any different because we weren't shown any difference. Now that we are grown up -at least physically, we take offense at the silliest things. We still don't talk about it. Maybe there is something to that....
What we do with our lives is our gift back to God. It doesn't matter how many godly things we "like" on facebook, or forward emails, or repost. It's when people look at the way you live your life that will influence them more than those things will. Sure, none of us are perfect, and definitely not me. But by the grace of God He has given me life and He hasn't given up on me and continues to work in me daily. Sometimes minute by minute.
But I can not change others. I can't make excuses for others. I can't protect others over silly remarks that were not meant to be taken literally. Some times people say funny things and people laugh, and then those at whom it was directed think about it. They allow the world around them tell them how awful it was, how they were used, how bad it was.... and then they get angry. A month later. Settle your dispute when it happens, don't let it fester.
I've been called quite a few things - but I think the one that hit me the hardest was 'phony'. When I confronted the person on the use of that word, and how it was used, the context stated was totally different than in what it was used. Now was that a cover-up for what was said? I don't know. I do know what I believe, and how I live, does not reflect what was said. I've prayed about it and asked God to reveal to me any area that it could apply. I'm watching and waiting for Him to show me, still.
And now I have started to ramble. Could be because I am feeling weary this morning. I am tired. I did get a lot of sleep last night, going to bed about 8:30PM, I think it was. This is just one of those days that I want to curl up and sleep, read a good book, and just be alone with God. I think I need to schedule a retreat for a few hours and just get away somewhere alone.
Alas, I am at the office and it is nearly time to get started on our daily work. I'm grateful for my job. It is a good job. It isn't my dream job, but it does pay the bills. And, I need to sign off this blog and bring up my work stuff and get ready.
If you are feeling defeated, weary and alone, don't give up. Look up. Keep your eyes on the PRIZE when you are struggling. Keep your thoughts pure and holy. Keep your faith, and walk, straight. Don't give up. Look up.
Our God, who is a Holy God, will never leave you nor forsake you. His Word says it. Therefore, I believe it. And you should as well. No matter what the world throws at you today, know that God is walking the journey with you. All the way.
Blessings!
No comments:
Post a Comment