I love this time of year - not that it couldn't happen any other time - but I get the grandchildren and we bake cookies, make Christmas mice, and whatever else we want to come up with. Two of the grandchildren (Tricia and Stevie) came over last night and we baked cookies. Meant to make the Christmas mice, but unfortunately, I screwed up. I bought a jar of halves of maraschino cherries - not the whole cherries with the stem! So - will need to go out today and find the cherries I need. Tricia and Stevie did make a peppermint cookie house - and while we were out shopping enroute to my house, they were able to pick up some Christmas gifts for their mom and dad. That was fun too. We ended the evening watching "Miracle on 34th Street" (the old one). Mom and Dad arrived to pick them up about 5 minutes before the end of it so we made them stay and watch it too.
Since we didn't get the Christmas mice made last night, Tricia and Stevie will get to come back for another evening of fun. I am also looking forward to getting Bethany, Ralphie, Nathan and David one night and also Cody, Tommy and Hailey. I have so much fun with the grandchildren! We used to make crafts but just can't do that anymore. Now it is baking - and I think they enjoy that too.
My difficulty this year with getting the grandchildren is not that I'm working and can't find time for them - they are in school until December 23rd this year! Will have to figure out something so that we can continue this favored tradition of mine that has the grandchildren coming to the house to bake cookies. The best part? I get to spend time with them - and for them, getting to take the cookies home! It's a win-win situation. Plus mom and dad get time too!
Tom and I have slowly been going through our Christmas movies I like to watch each December. We started back in November with "White Christmas" - watching it with Bethany. There are just some classics you have to be sure to pass on to the grandchildren. "Miracle on 34th Street" is another classic. Of course some of the younger grandchildren also go for 'Gumby" at Christmastime and a few of the other 'cartoons'. Then there is 'It's a Wonderful Life'. People who get down on themselves need to watch that one - they can realize how their lives do affect other people.
I wonder if my children remember watching the movies and if they started it in their home.....probably not. My parents didn't either - these were just some of the Christmas movies I love to watch. I don't remember any real Christmas traditions my parents had, other than my step-father pounding on our bedroom doors early in the morning and telling us Santa Claus had been there and to get up. Oh, and mama always fixed a big breakfast. As a family with 11 children (I had 3 real brothers, two real sisters, one half brother, two step brothers and two step sisters) it was pretty crowded when it came to everyone getting together Christmas morning. Once married and out of the house with our own families, the 'real' and 'step' divided up. My side (the 'real' side) took Christmas Eve with the stipulation mama still had to cook her delicious Christmas breakfast. I may be wrong, but I remember mama's fried chicken, biscuits and gravy, ham...and I'm sure there was a lot more. The 'steps' took Christmas morning.
The first Christmas after my real dad passed away in 1957, I remember a family from the church, Lindsay and Myrtle Ganote, taking us children shopping and buying us a toy and an outfit for Christmas. I remember I got a doll that year. I wish I would remember that more often. How many single parents are out there due to a death of a loved spouse and are struggling to bring joy to Christmas for their children? With divorce, the children still have two parents - and probably get more gifts than before. But with death, not only is the spouse who is left lonely and struggling with their own things, but trying to make the first holiday special still. Lord, if there is someone I need to help, please bring them to mind.
I know we have Angel Tree for those who are in prison so that their children can have a gift from them, but this is different. They are in prison for things they did wrong. Death is final. Lord, please bring to mind to those who read this blog, someone they can take a meal to, buy a small gift for, give some financial support. How can You use us this year, Lord?
My mind is reviewing Christmas pasts.... I remember my 14th Christmas.....I wanted a 'hope chest'. Some of you readers may not know what that is. It is a big wooden 'chest' that girls would put in items for when they got married; or just special things they wanted to keep. I wanted one so badly and my older sister had already received hers years before, along with my step sisters. It was my turn. Christmas morning came. It wasn't out there for me. I received the clothes, and I'm not sure what else. I remember feeling so sad. After all the gifts were opened and people were starting to move about and put things away, my stepfather disappeared outside with someone. I didn't pay any attention. Then they came walking in with my Lane Cedar Chest! I was so happy then! I still have that cedar chest too. It still holds treasured memories of different things. Over the years I've passed on to my children some that I hope they have hung on to for their children. Yeah, I am a 'passer-on' person. Sometimes that is good. Sometimes it is good we let it 'die'.
Ok - I need to get off here and get going rather than thinking of 'Christmas past' - lots to do today before going to watch a grandson in a Christmas play tonight. Now THAT is going to be a special memory too!
Who can you bless this Christmas that needs a blessing? Stop and ask God to bring someone to mind whom you can bring some joy to this year.
Blessings!
1 comment:
To the side of nationwide group supervisor Serta Palami, he earned certain that the actual Filipino Azkals will Buy WOW Goldnot likely drop this specific struggle in front of Philippine supporters."The Azkals Cheap RS Gold can play just as if we have to win the overall game,Inch nature associated with Palami.
Palami in addition begun to invite various other Philippine participants outside the region to assist the nation's crew.
Those types of which answered the call have been Filipino-Icelandic Jimmy Jonsson, Fil-British target keeper Neil Etheridge as well as Fil-Dutch Dennis Cagara as well as Filipino-Danish Jerry Lucena.
"Some in the players we now have inside The european countries Cheap WOW Gold have enjoyed versus seen people, therefore they may be used to this kind of,In . mentioned Palami.
In the mean Runescape Money time, Payne furthermore expressed the love for the Filipino displayed to love sports video game.
Post a Comment