Saturday, August 27, 2011

Old Friends are the best....

I met up with an 'old' friend today.  One of my women's ministry leadership team leaders had set up the opportunity to get massages - and I got to visit with Tracy, a dear friend from North  Hills Church.  I hadn't seen nor talked to her for awhile.  She does give great massages, by the way.   Not only was I able to visit with friends from Stetson Hills Community Church, where we now attend, but also with friends from other churches.

Sitting here at home now, the phone rings - and it is another dear friend.  We have not seen this friend probably in about 13 years I'm guessing, but we have always kept in touch.  He recently retired and moved to Winter Haven, FL and wanted to give us their current information, address, telephone, email, etc.  It was so good to hear from him and to catch up.  He has always had a special place in our hearts.  Gary is like a big ole' teddy bear.  I believe he is 6'3" and the last time I saw him, I think about 300 pounds.  But with the most gentle heart.  He has been a great friend to Tom probably for 40 years or so.

Thinking of 'old' friends, I am reminded of one who was my best friend.  Roberta, or Bertie as we called her, died a few years ago of MS, and I'm not sure what other complications she had but seems like cancer of the brain was one of them.   I had known Bertie since I was pregnant with Stuart - and he will be 37 this year.  As she lived in Michigan and I live in Arizona, I hadn't seen her in years.  I regret so much I didn't do more to keep in touch.  Not for her benefit as much for mine.  Bertie walked many journeys with me over the years.  She loved each of my children as if they were her own.  And I loved her boys as mine too.  I have memories of us doing silly things together.  She stood by me and supported me with her prayers and love many, many times.  One of her sons is still close, I believe, with a couple of my children.

Do you have an 'old' friend you haven't spoken to for awhile?   Why don't you pick up the phone and give them a call, just to say hello?  Or pick up a card and send that just says 'I'm thinking of you'.   I'm missing my dear Bertie right now and wishing I had done that more often than I did.   Don't wait until you wish you had.

Blessings!

No comments: