Thursday, February 19, 2015

I don't have a cold.......but.....allergies?

Hubby and I have been plagued with a hacking cough for the past week. It is annoying and even with taking Nyquil at night, we are wakened often with coughing. Hubby went to the doctor on Tuesday, I think it was, to get results of blood work. Got excellent results back. So he asked about the coughing. Seems that since we don't have a fever, watery eyes, etc. - and all we have is an annoying cough - the doctor has determined we are allergic to the Juniper trees which are blooming.

Say what?

Wouldn't that require some sort of test? Wouldn't that diagnosis require more than 'oh, you don't have a fever, no other symptoms but the cough, so you are allergic to Juniper trees because they are what is blooming right now?'

Yeah, doesn't make much sense to me either - but I have accepted it, just to have a diagnosis of why this annoying cough is staying on. Since Nyquil is not working to let us sleep, I think hubby is going to call for something to take that will let us sleep. I'm not going to the doctor - I'm not sick - just have this annoying cough.

And most people who have allergies are not only coughing, they have the watery eyes, running nose, etc. Not that I want that, mind you, but I feel like it was just a shot in the dark - whether true or not. Correct diagnosis or not (for hubby), I'm miserable with the coughing and not enough sleep - and so is he.

I come in to work today mainly for one reason - I have a meeting at which I need to take notes. Other things I can do from home. I get to work to find they cancelled that meeting. At least my part. I have lunch ordered - pizza and salad - so I need to find out if I need to cancel that. Probably not - they will at least gather to eat.

Yeah, doing the Lent fast this time. I gave up some of what I had the first of the year - but edited it and added one. I'm giving up BEEF and PORK (so I can still eat chicken and turkey if I want), Breads (my big addiction), desserts and chocolate - and coffee. Yep, I gave up coffee. I don't want to do a mindless fast - so every morning I am reminded that I am fasting when I have hubby bring me in a cup of hot water with lemon - versus a cup of java.

This fast is for 40 days - from Ash Wednesday to Palm Sunday. Not that I schedule these, but feel like I want to participate. I think hubby is doing something - but am not sure what he is doing.

Coffee was a little harder to give up. Even for 40 days. I like good coffee. I usually only drink on average two cups a day. One cup hubby brings me in the morning - and one cup after I get to work (which lasts all morning). But I do enjoy my coffee - hot or cold. But something a pastor friend of mine said one time really made me think about it. He loves coffee too - and his comment one year was 'I will never fast coffee' - or something like that. Yes, I'm still drinking my tea.

It surprised me, and often makes me think about that comment. Does coffee have that hold on him that he can not give it up for a time frame? I don't recall giving it up before - just because I didn't feel I needed to - but this time, I wanted to. I haven't had major headaches and shaky hands because of not having it. Today I have a dull headache, but I think it is more from not sleeping well the past few nights and from coughing so deeply. May need to go take a Bayer so that I can focus instead of squint.

My boss has gone to Tucson today so I am planning on leaving a little early - if I can get some things done before then. I don't have anything pressing for today - now that my meeting is cancelled. I think that I would have stayed home and worked - but reality is that I don't like to stay home and work. It's an inconvenience for hubby and I always feel I'm in the way. He is used to having the house to himself all day. But I will leave perhaps 1/2 hour early - I usually make up the time sitting in traffic anyway. I really, really dislike driving in the evening traffic - especially when it takes me 1 1/2 hours to get home. I'm only 21 miles from home! It shouldn't take that long!!

I started reading a book by John Hagee last night - Four Blood Moons by John Haggee. My sister kept telling me to read it so we could talk about it. I got into the first two chapters last night - interesting, for sure. Another book she wants me to get is The Harbinger by Jonathan Cath - I have read a chapter in it (sample) and it seems intriging.... I did order that book. It starts out like something my son would enjoy reading. After I read it, I will ask if he wants to. I'm glad he enjoys reading - I do too - just don't take that much time to do much of it.

I stayed off facebook last night cause I could easily lose an hour right there, just skimming through. I did play my WWF games. But then I got started on Four Blood Moons. I'm hoping to finish it over the weekend - maybe. It's on my kindle so I can carry it about anywhere.

Mind blank. Need to get up and move around. Guess it best I shut up for now.

Hope you have a good weekend! It's almost here!

Blessings!




1 comment:

Ralphd00d said...

I looked up the books and no, I think I will pass. It isn't really my cup of tea, so to speak.