At your first job, did someone bring you under their wing and teach you how to do things?
Back in 1974 I was hired in customer service at a small fabric upholstery company that had just opened in Indianapolis. Within a couple months I was called into the President’s office. He offered me the job of bookkeeper (the one they had unexpectedly left). I told him I knew very little about bookkeeping – only what I learned in school (Yes, when I went to high school, bookkeeping was an actual subject). He didn’t care. He would teach me, and the CPA would teach me, what I needed to do. Fearfully, I accepted the position.
Mr. Knowles and the CPA worked patiently with me and taught me how to do payroll, monthly reports, sales reports, credit reports – and I even branched into computers (after working for years using an old Burroughs manual posting machine!). Mr. Knowles believed in me, and trusted me to give him and the company excellence.
I quickly learned how fast I could be on the calculator. Steve, our CPA, and I would often “race” through the numerical columns to see if we reached the same total. I sometimes even beat him! Steve also helped me learn a lot, but it was Mr. Knowles who believed in me to ask me to take on the job.
Mr. Knowles and I still keep in touch. He left that company and started his own business in Florida, which he has since sold (He just turned 86!) I left the company after 7 years and ended up in Phoenix. But I have never forgotten Mr. Knowles who gave me confidence in myself and in abilities. I often tell him how much what he did for me has meant all these years. And he always tells me how much that makes his day to hear he made a difference in my life.
What about you? Who has made a difference in your life? Have you told them lately ‘thank you’?
Better yet, who’s life are YOU making a difference in?
Who are you encouraging, mentoring? If you don’t have someone in your life you are mentoring, look for someone you can come alongside and offer words of encouragement to. It may change their lives.
Blessings!
No comments:
Post a Comment