The pastor of the church we currently attend called yesterday and asked if I would serve communion at our service tomorrow. I agreed to do communion, as I enjoy sharing with the congregation about Jesus' sacrifice for us. He gave up everything - His very life - as a sacrifice so that we can live and have eternal life.
As I thought about what I could share, I was reminded of a few illustrations I have read recently. One that I may end up using is just the statement in a book by Tommy Tenney, "Preparation mirrors the importance of the visit".
Think about how much preparation goes into a World Series, or a Rose Bowl Game, or when it is announced the President of the United States or even a dignitary is arriving in a certain city. It is enormous what debt will be incurred just to prepare for this visit! What about when your daughter gets married and wants a lavish wedding. Not only the wedding itself, but think of the preparation your daughter will do just to prepare herself for her wedding day.
When Jesus came to earth, He was born in a stable and placed in a manger. Certainly no grand preparations for such a King. As He begin to preach and go about the countryside to heal and to preach, no grand preparations were made for Him. That wasn't what He came for. He came to set us free from all the trappings of traditions and restrictions we put upon ourselves. There is nothing wrong with celebrations. It is how we use and make of those preparations. Are the preparations our focus? Jesus prepared Himself for death on the cross. He had a relationship with His Father, He knew the way He was to walk, and He did it willingly. He knew where He was headed, and He was prepared to die, to be our sacrifice.
In Kyle Idleman's book 'Not a Fan' he asks the question - "are you a follower of Jesus - or are you a fan?" (paraphrased - I didn't look up the specific quote) I choose to be a follower of Jesus. I choose to prepare myself for His visit with me, today and every day. I choose to prepare for His Homecoming, when He comes to get His Bride, the Church.
No, I don't intend to say all this when it is time for communion tomorrow. It is just some thoughts that have come to me as I ponder the statement "Preparation mirrors the importance of the visit". Jesus' visit is important to me. I'm going to prepare myself anew daily to receive Him.
Jesus came - and died on a cross - so that we can live. When He comes to visit with you today, what preparation have you made for Him? Do you have a place where you can be quiet and sit before Him and lavish your love on Him? Have you blocked time to just sit awhile and visit? Or have you found yourself so busy from the moment your feet hit the floor that you have no time for Him. Yeah, a statement. Unfortunately, that is many people's excuse for not spending time with Jesus. No time. Yet there seems to be time for everything else.
What are you doing to prepare for Jesus' visit with you today?
Blessings!
No comments:
Post a Comment